incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Is any one here familiar with OpenOffice?
Date Mon, 12 Mar 2012 20:07:17 GMT
On Mon, Mar 12, 2012 at 3:59 PM, Pedro Giffuni <pfg@apache.org> wrote:
> On 03/12/12 14:48, Rob Weir wrote:

>>> FWIW, and just my humble opinion ...
>>>
>>> I don't think we should spend time discussing such arguments
>>> when we have the one instrument that defines the true
>>> continuation of the project, namely www.openoffice.org .
>>>
>> Oh, I'm sure we all have our own preferred ways of doing this.  The
>> nice thing is that they are not mutually exclusive. We only need to
>> agree to be accurate and positive.   We don't need to agree on a
>> narrow set of specific communications. Some volunteers might work
>> better with HTML, others with YouTube videos, others with graphics.
>> Let's find more ways of saying "yes and"  instead of "no, but".
>>
>> -Rob
>

> You didn't get it: the channel matters.
>
> If a blog from the Apache Foundation says "OpenOffice is not
> dead" and a blog from TDF says "OpenOffice.org is dead",
> well ... both can be wrong or right ...
>
> OTOH, If the openoffice.org says "alive and kicking" the
> message is way more credible.

So that is a "yes, and" statement.  Yes, let's do the home page, and
the other things as well, if we have volunteers to do them. They work
together.  Certainly the home page gets a lot of traffic, so it can
reinforce a message.

> This said ... I don't feel confident enough to modify the
> main page: if I, for example, screw things up badly and
> want to revert my changes, can I do that easily in
> Apache CMS?

It may depend on whether you want to change only the main index.html
page, or change the repeated page elements that appear on every page.
Dave would know how far you can go without forcing a complete rebuild.

-Rob