incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Permission
Date Fri, 30 Mar 2012 21:58:33 GMT
On Fri, Mar 30, 2012 at 2:37 PM, Evette Caple <Evette.Caple@phoenix.edu>wrote:

>  To Whom it may Concern,****
>
> ** **
>
> I am writing to obtain permission to utilize a screenshot of the Wikipedia
> page at: http://openoffice.org (see below) in a technology course
> tutorial.****
>
> **

Hello Evette,

If you attached a file it was stripped when posting to this mailing list.

If I understand correctly, you want to use one of the screenshots from this
Wikipedia page:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Openoffice

Is that correct?

If you click on any image in Wikipedia you are taken to a page that
explains the license for that image.  The Apache OpenOffice project is not
the owner of these images.  They are screen shots provided by independent
Wikipedia editors.

>From the trademark perspective, if you are using the screenshot to
essentially say, "Here is a screen shot of OpenOffice" then that should be
OK.   Is that how it would be used?

We want to avoid anything that would suggest endorsement or sponsorship by
the OpenOffice project or the Apache Software Foundation.

Details on our trademark policy is here:
http://www.apache.org/foundation/marks/

Regards,

-Rob