incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [EXTENSIONS][RELEASE] (was RE: Calling all volunteers: It is time to test)
Date Mon, 05 Mar 2012 20:27:28 GMT
On Mon, Mar 5, 2012 at 3:07 PM, Jean Weber <jeanweber@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 6, 2012 at 05:46, Rob Weir <robweir@apache.org> wrote:

incubator releases should not overload prior versions of OO.o.  I recommend that AOO 3.4
install in its own locations and not do anything that would prevent side-by-side functioning.
 (My recommendation would be that it do that anyhow.  But with known breaking of an important
down-level feature, that becomes imperative.)

AOO 3.4 overwrites OOo3.x.x

a new profile for AOO 3.4. Or do as LibreOffice did when it came out and import the data that
can be used from the OOo user profile into a new profile.

How many current users of OOo actually read the install instructions before installing a new
version?

as well.  It is now clear that integration has problems and there is no reason to provoke
more of it.

>>> Rob,
>>>
>>> When an installation wipes out some or all of the user's extensions or other
customisations of a previous version, that is a sure way to alienate a LOT of people and create
a lot of very bad publicity, in addition to the inconvenience to users. I agree with Dennis
and Larry that this is unacceptable. Indeed, I am very dismayed that anyone would seriously
consider doing that. And documenting the issue, while necessary, is far from sufficient. Most
people don't read the instructions, as you should know.

>> I'm not aware of "other customizations" being overwritten in this
>> case. Can you say more?
>>
>> -Rob
>>
>>> Jean
>
> Generic statement, intended to cover other possibilities of which I
> might not be aware.

OK.  If you come across anything specific, please enter an issue in
BZ.  But for sake of a reasonable debate on the specific install
question in this thread, I'd recommend we not bring up hypothetical
issues that you are not actually aware of.

-Rob