incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org>
Subject Re: How can we get OpenOffice started with Pootle?
Date Sat, 03 Mar 2012 15:05:17 GMT
On Sat, Mar 3, 2012 at 1:04 AM, Andrew Rist <andrew.rist@oracle.com> wrote:
> On 3/2/2012 6:10 PM, Rob Weir wrote:
> <snip>
>
>> So we have what, 100 languages or more?  And in each release we add or
>> change a few dozen or a hundred strings?
>>
>> Suppose we did something along your lines, of having a way of
>> measuring contribution, vetting the quality of the work, etc.  Would
>> it make sense to more than double the number of committers and PPMC
>> members for this?  Does it really make sense to have 200 PPMC members,
>> more than half -- a deciding bloc in release and PMC Chair votes -- be
>> translators?
>>
>> And do we really want to require 100+ ICLA's and deal with the
>> likelihood that not everyone will sign?
>
> hmmm...
> Do we really want 100 committers, contributing to every release, who
> represent 100 different languages, from all over the globe, who in addition
> to translating UI and help could also be very useful in translating press
> releases and announcements into their native languages, and representing
> Apache OpenOffice in their particular community?
>
> In a word...
>
> yes
>

>> And then, once we've done al that, how can we as a PMC vote to approve
>> the release of a translation that only 0.5% of us can verify?
>
> not everyone has to be on the PMC - that's a different issue from
> committership.

That is one approach.  But previous attempts (by me) to suggest that
Commitership and PMC membership should be two different things were
soundly rebuffed.  Maybe it is worth reconsideration?   Certainly some
translators will be making a contribution that merits PMC membership
as well.  But if someone logins in every 6 months to translate a 25
new strings, then that might not.

-Rob