incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Apache OpenOffice Extensions/Templates Sites: State of the art
Date Tue, 20 Mar 2012 22:58:33 GMT
On Tue, Mar 20, 2012 at 3:51 PM, Roberto Galoppini <rgaloppini@geek.net> wrote:
> [...]
>
> - Maintenance and updates to he Drupal modules of the two sites; (this
> included the update of the Drupal 5 platform to work with PHP 5.3)
>
> - Analysis of the performance issues of the sites replacing the caching systems;
>
> - Transparent Redirects to the SourceForge mirror for uploads' and
> downloads' operations to enabling a faster download and reducing
> significantly the load on the Drupal servers;
>
> - Rewriting all parts of the sites depending on
> extensions/templates.services.openoffice.org URLs;
> (the actual extensions/templates.openoffice.org can be relocated at
> any other URL the community might like);
>
> - Allowing users to login both with the openoffice.org accounts and
> with local accounts;
> (in order to manage smoothly the shutdown of Oracle infrastructure);
>
> - Automatic conversion of openoffice.org users' accounts to local accounts;
> (all users who actually logged in before Oracle shutdown were hence
> migrated seamless)
>
> - Creation of new accounts directly as local accounts and not as an
> account at openoffice.org;
>
> - Managing the transition of active users to the new system by direct
> mailing them prior to the receipt of  users' accounts; (we needed to
> do that in order to avoid the risk of having active users out of the
> system for some days)
>
> What's next:
>
> 1 - We plan to Migrats all users right away, providing them also with
> some interesting info (e.g. extensions/templates recently created,
> statistics, etc)
>
> 2 - Help market AOO Extensions and Templates, e.g. interviewing
> creators and sharing the news via our media. Our community growth
> hacker and Apache member Rich Bowen will be happy to help with that.
>
> I wish also to take the chance here to thanks Ross Gardler, who
> mentored us through the collaboration process, Rob Weir for his inputs
> and support, and Gavin McDonald and the whole Infra team, who provided
> us with all necessary information, often getting help in turn from
> Andrew Rist (who was also supportive and helpful).
>
> I think it's also appropriate to give credit to our SiteOp team,
> especially Jacob Morman who was the owner of the activity on our side,
> and Wayne Davison who worked hard, deployed new servers, and went
> above and beyond the call of duty in getting this deployed quickly.
> Our engineering team did a lot of work especially, Dave Brondsema was
> also of great help, enabling our Allura open source forge to deliver
> on performance. We’re also very grateful to Antonio DeMarco the
> contractor who actually turned all our specifications and fix requests
> into a working platform. And I’s also like to thank Mark Ramm who
> helped mobilize and organize the engineering, contractor, and site
> operations work so that we could get this done quickly. Last but not
> least, I wish to say thank to Andrea Pescetti, who actually provided
> us with all details about how those websites work.

+1 and thanks to all that helped.  And especially, to you Roberto, for
having the original idea that SourceForge might help, and then
perusing that idea, especially through the chaos of the ooo-dev list!

-Rob

> Roberto
> ====
> This e- mail message is intended only for the named recipient(s) above. It may contain
confidential and privileged information. If you are not the intended recipient you are hereby
notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this e-mail and any attachment(s)
is strictly prohibited. If you have received this e-mail in error, please immediately notify
the sender by replying to this e-mail and delete the message and any attachment(s) from your
system. Thank you.