incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [EXTENSIONS][RELEASE] (was RE: Calling all volunteers: It is time to test)
Date Mon, 05 Mar 2012 23:08:24 GMT
On Mon, Mar 5, 2012 at 6:03 PM, Dennis E. Hamilton
<dennis.hamilton@acm.org> wrote:
> I recall the discussion about the BerkeleyDB.  However, the dots with respect to the
current state and consequences for users were not connected for me until I saw Jürgen Schmidt's
reply today concerning the experience of Larry Gusaas.

> My creation of this derivative thread was immediate.  It was inspired by situation being
made so clear.

> I don't recall these consequences being so evident until the testing of the "system integration"
install versions began last week.  As a matter of my *personal* policy, I would never release
in a way that automatically removed previous versions, especially for a release under a reconstituted
project.  But that's a matter of personal principles.

Your "personal policy" goes against the constant practice of this
project for many many years, where point releases do overlay prior
releases.

> I do not have the experience and skills to make such changes to the Apache OpenOffice
code base.  I do have the means to detect and demonstrate defects and make Bugzilla reports.
 I can also recommend that the advice of RGB ES and Eric b be drawn upon. And I agree with
Larry and Jean that this is a significant policy issue.

Please do.  I'd love to see the BZ issues.  This would make the
question concrete rather than the rampant speculation I've otherwise
read today.

> Perhaps this issue could have been surfaced and considered before now.  It doesn't matter.
 It is clearly before us at this moment.