incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [EXTENSIONS][RELEASE] (was RE: Calling all volunteers: It is time to test)
Date Tue, 06 Mar 2012 03:47:41 GMT
On Mon, Mar 5, 2012 at 10:24 PM, Larry Gusaas <larry.gusaas@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 2012-03-05 8:17 PM  Rob Weir wrote:
>>
>> As I said before, the point was that requiring users to reinstall
>> extensions is not unreasonable.   It is certainly better than what you
>> are recommending, that users must reinstall extensions but then they
>> also lose every other setting and preference they had in their profile
>> as well,
>

> Actually, since a corrupted profile is the largest cause of problems for
> users of OOo and the cure is a new profile, it would be far safer for a
> major update like AOO 3.4 to use a completely new profile. This approach is
> recommended by many of the people giving support for OOo. (I've never done
> that myself, although I have had to replace a corrupted profile.)

Even safer would be to reformat the hard drive and reinstall the OS.
But unless the user is reporting symptoms related to corruptions,
these precautions are unnecessary, and cause more user inconvenience
("alienation" as it has been called elsewhere in this thread) than
necessary.  (And yes, I have professionally supported office app
users).

In any case, no one has suggested we eliminate the option for users
(or admins) to install to a new profile if they wish.  We're not
discussing that.  The only thing we're discussing, is what the default
should be.  Should the default be:

A: Lose all user settings and preferences and also require the user to
reinstall extensions

B: Require the user to reinstall extensions, but preserve the user
settings, so after the extensions are reinstalled the user has all
their settings and preferences.

C. Preserve the extensions as well as the settings

Ideally we'd have C.  That is what we had with OOo 3.3 and 3.2.  But
it does not work now due to the removal of Berkeley DB.  I don't think
anyone (except maybe Dennis, since his concerns are orthogonal to the
extensions question) would have complained if we did C.  But now that
we can't do C, it seems absurd to break the user entirely by picking A
rather than allowing the user to easily recover with B.

I'm not saying there are not uses for A.  I'm glad that option is
there,  But it does not make sense for the default option that we
break users even more than the breakage that most people on the thread
are complaining that they find detrimental to users.