incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <>
Subject Re: GSoC 2012 is coming
Date Mon, 05 Mar 2012 17:38:29 GMT
On Mon, Mar 5, 2012 at 10:25 AM, Pedro Giffuni <> wrote:
> Hi;
> As you know, once each year Google selects projects that they
> would like to fund by paying students for tasks.
> The Google Summer of Code program is a huge opportunity for
> projects like OpenOffice in order to achieve technical objectives
> and to get new blood into in the project.
> Being under the ASF umbrella greatly simplifies the administrative
> efforts to participate in such program but still we have homework
> to do:

Looking at the timeline here:

Mentoring organizations (that would be the ASF) have until this Friday
to apply. Assuming ASF is approved,

Google notifies the accepted organizations on March 16h.

Students look at open projects from the 17th through the 25th,

So, if we want to be involved, we need to move fast.

But I'm not sure who "we" is.  Do Apache projects, including podlings
apply for this?  Or is it up to individual GSoC mentors to do this?
Is there any community or PMC review or approval required?

> 1) We need good project ideas. These necessarily have to be
> coding projects and have to have an estimated difficulty that
> permits effective results in a summer.

Looking at the timeframe for this, it looks like the program is mainly
mid-May through mid-August. So this will be after AOO 3.4 is out, but
before AOO 4.0 is out.

Does it need to be be core AOO C++ code projects?  Or could it be, for
example, test suite development in Java?  What about OpenOffice

> 2) We need mentors; that is, people with technical skills that
> know what to be done and can provide help in the details. It
> obviously also means people with time to review code and
> guide complete newcomers to the code.
> It is not specifically required but some logic would imply that:
> 1) Mentors will have to be committers to ensure the results
> will become part of source tree.
> 2) Selected students will have to submit an ICLA.
> 3) A proposed project must be backed by a mentor.
> I would also expect that being very optimistic we will get
> very few slots for AOO: we are under friendly competition
> with other Apache projects that are interesting for students
> and that have experience dealing with GSoC students from
> previous years.

Maybe we can get started by collecting ideas on a wiki page?

> best regards,
> Pedro.

View raw message