incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org>
Subject Re: And idea for OOo
Date Fri, 30 Mar 2012 14:00:07 GMT
On Fri, Mar 30, 2012 at 9:01 AM, Cody Miller <codymiller1996@live.com>wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I have a really great idea for the OpenOffice Community. Almost every
> Office Suite has its own storage house (cloud drive) nowadays, and I was
> thinking that OOo should have its own too. But I was also thinking that not
> only could you retrieve your documents, but even edit them while your in
> the storage as well. That way, you could take and edit your documents
> wherever you are. This would be a huge step for the OOo community, and it
> may increase our popularity if accomplished. And if the popularity
> increase, that will mean more developers where be really to help worldwide.
> Please take my idea into consideration.

Two things to consider:

1) Enabling OpenOffice for use with existing cloud storage

2) Enabling an OpenOffice cloud

#1 is easy, and in fact is already done, via extensions.  For example, this
extension allows the user to save/retrieve documents to a variety of cloud
storage providers, including Amazon, DropBox, Google, SkyDrive, etc:

http://extensions.services.openoffice.org/en/project/MultiCloud

#2 is harder.  The main issue is that open source projects are run by
volunteers.  What we can offer is our time, our skills, our labor.  But
having our own cloud requires more than that.  It requires storage,
bandwidth, servers,and additional security and privacy concerns, including
different laws in different countries, needing to respond to law
enforcement authorities when they demand access, etc.  This all takes us
further away from our core mission, which is to provide free software to
the public.

So I think we should focus on #1, enabling OpenOffice to work with cloud
providers. But we can then rely on 3rd parties -- the broader ecosystem --
to develop and maintain the cloud storage options.

-Rob