incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org>
Subject Re: After AOO 3.4, attracting new contributors
Date Thu, 29 Mar 2012 11:39:59 GMT
On Thu, Mar 29, 2012 at 12:37 AM, Pedro Giffuni <pfg@apache.org> wrote:

> Hi Ram;
>
> We are strictly non-profit here so I am not sure how far
> we could go with such certifications. I think it's a
> delicate matter and sooner or later someone would likely
> complain about students being exploited or your company
> making money in exchange of ASF certificates.

But consider, don't we do exactly this when Apache participates in Google
Summer of Code?  We get students working on Apache projects, and in return
Apache gives the student a written evaluation.  And in return for a
successful evaluation the student gets money from Google.

How is it any different if another company (not Google) encourages students
to contribute to the project and in return we provide some reference for
how well the student did?  How payments are handled beyond that is none of
our business.

> We certainly can have a Wiki page for students to register
> their projects and ideas and if their projects are really
> good we would almost certainly invite them to become
> Apache committers but that as far as we can go (I think).

Being voted in as as committer is one way to demonstrate accomplishment in
the project.

Another way would be to show code contributions directly.  Everything in
version control is open to the public to inspect, so anyone with the right
skills can find this out.

Another way is to use a  site like Ohloh, which puts these statistics in a
easier-to-read form.

-Rob