incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [EXTENSIONS][RELEASE] (was RE: Calling all volunteers: It is time to test)
Date Tue, 06 Mar 2012 01:11:07 GMT
On Mon, Mar 5, 2012 at 7:39 PM, Dave Fisher <dave2wave@comcast.net> wrote:

> On Mar 5, 2012, at 2:38 PM, Rob Weir wrote:

>>> I have been paying attention. Have you?
>>> In the thread "Calling all volunteers: It is time to test" you wrote
>>>
>>>   "We could use help verifying the install in all real-world scenarios, on
>>> clean OS installs,
>>>   as upgrades to previous versions of OOo."  and
>>>   "Please send a short note to the ooo-dev@incubator.apache.org telling us
>>> what platform and
>>>
>>>   scenario you installed (fresh install, upgrade, install next to
>>> LibreOffice, etc.)."
>>>
>>> I did an install over OOo on my Mac and reported that it deleted the
>>> extensions in my user profile.
>>>
>>> Dennis started this thread "[EXTENSIONS][RELEASE] (was RE: Calling all
>>> volunteers: It is time to test)" to discuss if  releases of AOO should
>>> overwrite the OOo version, thus deleting all installed extensions.
>>>
>>> Does this not require discussion?
>>>

>> This has been known for several months and has been part of the 3.4
>> plan.  We discussed it extensively in early December.  Certainly if
>> you have new information, new workarounds, new proposals, or even new
>> code, then I'm new we all would love to know about it.  But if you are
>> just noticing this for the first time, you might want to check the
>> list archives to catch up on the previous discussion first.  Search
>> for "berkeleydb".
>>
>> In any case your questions suggests a simple misunderstanding.  The
>> issue with the extensions in 3.4 is not that the 3.4 install is
>> overwriting a profile or anything like that.  It is not, as you say.
>> that we are "deleting all installed extensions".  The issue is that
>> the extensions info in OOo 3.3 was stored locally in Berkeley Db
>> database file.  We had to remove berkeleydb because of its
>> incompatible license.  So the database file is there, but, even after
>> an upgrade, but we're not able to read it.  That is why the extensions
>> need to be reinstalled.
>
> Rob, I think you are the one who has a "simple" misunderstanding. This issue is being
re-raised now. Are we sure that there is no way that Berkeley DB can be used?

Actually, there are grve misunderstandings here, both procedural and
technical.,  Some have taken the fact that the extensions need to be
reinstalled and extrapolated that as evidence that the profiles are
overwritten.

The procedural error is to think that raising or "re-raising" an issue
magically makes code happen.

> Subversion seems to allow it - http://subversion.apache.org/faq.html#divining-bdb-version
>
> Even if it can't be used should it be possible to hack the file to get the strings? The
data can't be too difficult to understand.

Patches are welcome.

> While not a functional blocker I firmly believe that this is a significant problem for
AOO and this should be addressed constructively.

Patches are welcome.

> Please don't give me a "where is the code" response.

Patches are welcome.

-Rob