incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <>
Subject Re: [EXTENSIONS][RELEASE] (was RE: Calling all volunteers: It is time to test)
Date Mon, 05 Mar 2012 19:44:54 GMT
On Mon, Mar 5, 2012 at 1:24 PM, Dennis E. Hamilton
<> wrote:
> It is one thing to encourage users to remove their older versions.
> It is another thing to automatically remove them and, along with that, features that
they are relying upon.
> I don't think the ability of OO.o to replace versions in the same line (i.e., 3.* --
and 3.* did not remove 2.* and 1.* as far as I know) is the proper precedent.  I think how
LibreOffice endeavored not to do that with their first and subsequent releases is the proper
precedent.  This is not about wearing the crown, it is about serving the user community.

Again, your opinion carries as far as your willingness to code an
alternative install approach.

>  - Dennis
should not overload prior versions of OO.o.  I recommend that AOO 3.4 install in its own
locations and not do anything that would prevent side-by-side functioning.  (My recommendation
would be that it do that anyhow.  But with known breaking of an important down-level feature,
that becomes imperative.)
> In general, it is important for OOo 3.3 and earlier installs on
> desktops to go away. Old releases increasingly become security
> hazards, especially if they are no longer being actively maintained.
> We do a great service to the community in general if we overwrite them
> with the AOO 3.4.  This is true even given the inconvenience the user
> experiences from the need to reinstall extensions.
> In any case, I think the overwrite is fine.  It is what OOo 3.3 and
> OOo 3.2 did as well by default.  We can document in the install
> intructions how this can be overridden.
>> I think there should be OOo-dev releases only until this is handled as well.  It
is now clear that integration has problems and there is no reason to provoke more of it.
> If you are volunteering to re-write the extension manager client
> database support, please speak up and let us know your plan.
>> I also suspect that it is not a good idea to rebrand the Extensions and Templates
pages at SourceForge quite so strongly, since the only extensions that are there now are for
OO.o (and perhaps LibreOffice).
>>  - Dennis
>>> Writer. The one database I have works. Will do further testing later.

View raw message