incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Request for a German-language mailing list
Date Fri, 02 Mar 2012 16:03:20 GMT
On Fri, Mar 2, 2012 at 6:11 AM, Regina Henschel <rb.henschel@t-online.de> wrote:
> Hi all
>
> We from the german-nlc would like to make a new start. The de-nlc has a long
> history and was one of the strongest OOo nlc projects. At peak times we had
> over 40 Mails per day coming over the de-dev mailing list. The de site is
> one of the most visited at the Apache OpenOffice project, and the chance is
> good that we can get new volunteers.
>
> The problem is, without a mailing list it's hard to involve newcomers.
>
> The English list es not really a viable alternative - same as it wouldn't be
> much good to force English native speakers to follow a ML with more than 40
> mails a day in Spanish for example.
>
> Non-programmers, who can do great work in QA, documentation and
> localization, have first to learn how this project is set up. They would
> feel more comfortable on a ML with less traffic and in their own language.
>
> But I'm sure many of those who join a German-language list will at some
> point in time also come to the ooo-dev. So it's not about splitting the
> community. On the contrary, it's about attracting new people to the project.
>
> We could of course setup a list outside of Apache - an alternative we have
> already discussed.
>
> But we need to be closer to Apache. A group outside would need very careful
> planning and coordination with the Apache project, and this would needlessly
> take up valuable time which could be put to better use. At the same time we
> need an up-and-running list need very soon, because the old infrastructure
> will be shutting down in the near future.
>
> We would very much like to know, what you think of our proposition.
>
> This proposal has been discussed on dev@de.openoffice.org, see thread
> http://openoffice.org/projects/de/lists/dev/archive/2012-02/message/32
>
> Actual traffic on the German-language lists are
> dev@de.openoffice.org: January 12, February 54
> users@de.openoffice.org: January 249, February 179
>
> We request a list ooo-users-de@incubator.apache.org
> We are not strongly determined to "users", but "discuss" would be also OK,
> if that fits better to the common Apache praxis.

For native language lists we currently have two:

ooo-general-ja

and

ooo-utenti-it

("utenti" is Italian for "users")

So I think ooo-users-de@incubator.apache.org would be fine.  It would
also be fine if you wanted to translate "users" into German.

Note: after we graduate from the incubator, the lists will be renamed like this:

ooo-foo@incubator.apache.org ==> foo@openoffice.apache.org

So your list would eventually become users-de@openoffice.apache.org

Regards,

-Rob