incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org>
Subject Re: press announcement for AOO 3.4
Date Sat, 03 Mar 2012 15:01:32 GMT
On Sat, Mar 3, 2012 at 4:24 AM, Jörg Schmidt <joesch@j-m-schmidt.de> wrote:
> Hello,
>
>  Ross Gardler wrote:
>> - if you or an organisation wishes to speak publicly about
>> AOO you can do
>> so but you cannot claim to represent the project, only your engagement
>> within it.
>
> Yes, this point is very clearly for me. At this point there is no contradiction.
>
> But let me explain with an example:
>
> If the national company ABC (formally named "ABC Deutschland GmbH") issues a press
> release, then is a press release of "ABC Deutschland GmbH", which was also written
> by "ABC Deutschland GmbH". Nevertheless, this is no press release against the
> interests of ABC (formally "ABC international").

We have no formal project subdivisions that have authority to issue
their own press releases.

Maybe think of it this way:  There are many different ways of slicing
and dicing the project. We have language and national groups.  We have
functional groups (programmers, documentation, QA, marketing, etc.).
We have domain interests (primary education, academic, enterprise,
home).  This are all cross-cutting concerns and any one of us probably
feels affiliated with several of these interests.   But in the end we
have one project, with one PMC, and one public voice.

Another way of thinking about it:    If the press release is about the
AOO product or project, then of course it must be reviewed by the PMC.
 How could it be otherwise that we would want a press release about
the project/product in the name of the project not to be reviewed by
the project?