incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <>
Subject Re: [EXTENSIONS][RELEASE] (was RE: Calling all volunteers: It is time to test)
Date Mon, 05 Mar 2012 20:36:50 GMT
On Mon, Mar 5, 2012 at 3:26 PM, Jean Weber <> wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 6, 2012 at 06:07, Jean Weber <> wrote:
early incubator releases should not overload prior versions of OO.o.  I recommend that AOO
3.4 install in its own locations and not do anything that would prevent side-by-side functioning.
 (My recommendation would be that it do that anyhow.  But with known breaking of an important
down-level feature, that becomes imperative.)
create a new profile for AOO 3.4. Or do as LibreOffice did when it came out and import the
data that can be used from the OOo user profile into a new profile.
link. How many current users of OOo actually read the install instructions before installing
a new version?
as well.  It is now clear that integration has problems and there is no reason to provoke
more of it.
customisations of a previous version, that is a sure way to alienate a LOT of people and create
a lot of very bad publicity, in addition to the inconvenience to users. I agree with Dennis
and Larry that this is unacceptable. Indeed, I am very dismayed that anyone would seriously
consider doing that. And documenting the issue, while necessary, is far from sufficient. Most
people don't read the instructions, as you should know.
>>> I'm not aware of "other customizations" being overwritten in this
>>> case. Can you say more?
>>> -Rob
>> Generic statement, intended to cover other possibilities of which I
>> might not be aware.
> I note that you have ignored the real issue in my previous note:
> alienating users. I would like to hear how you expect or intend to
> deal with that.

I don't equate any amount of user inconvenience with "alienating
users."  To suggest this is pure hyperbole, divorced from reality.
Microsoft breaks their plugins with every release and requires
reinstall.  They seem to manage to preserve a non-negligible market
share. Many programs do this.  Some do better, some check for
compatibility and enable some but not all extensions.  I suppose if
the Mozilla developers said that they had to bread the compatibility
checking code in a release, that some project members might resort to
hyperbole about alienating users and say that it was unacceptable.
But not that their unacceptable solution is just life as usual for
OpenOffice, since we don't do compatibility checks on upgrade.   And
what you call unacceptable in OpenOffice is just life as usual for MS

A little perspective goes a long way.  This is not the end of the
world.  Not even close.  I recommend dealing with it with user

> --Jean

View raw message