incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org>
Subject Re: AOO Web Logos?
Date Sat, 31 Mar 2012 02:15:41 GMT
On Fri, Mar 30, 2012 at 7:50 PM, drew jensen <drewjensen.inbox@gmail.com>wrote:

> On Fri, 2012-03-30 at 09:19 -0700, Kay Schenk wrote:

> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OOOUSERS/Application+Branding
> > >>>>

> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OOOUSERS/AOOLogo+proposal

> addition

> topic.

> *page*
> that we
> > >
> > > well, all the artwork I've submitted and I've said this before, is
> setup
> > > up with layers - just open it, hide or remove the layer named
> > > 'incubating' and it's gone.

> timeline

> ask
> provide
> >
> > Well I would be happy to do an actual PROPOSAL with Lazy Consensus from
> > among the following 3 logos on:
> >
> > https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OOOUSERS/Logo+Proposals
> >
> > * the first logo under the heading
> > 1.1 Proposed banner logo for the main web site
> >
> > * or either of the orb-centric proposals
> > 2.1 Orb Centric Proposal Logo #1,
> > 2.2 Orb Centric Proposal Logo #2
> >

> Howdy Kay, et al
>
> I really think the idea of a community, less restrictive, image makes
> sense. Looking at what is there then I'd vote for
>
> 1.1 to base the official on, and use that specific image for the
> website. While still in incubating status we can just keep the ASF
> Incubating graphic in the upper right hand corner, after graduation just
> drop it.
>
> 2.1 to base the community logo on and the specific image as the first
> entry on a wiki page and htmel snippet, ready for media and supporter
> use.
>
> So for the moment then it is a proposal to use the feather for
> in-project, or with permission, work and no feather for the less formal
> usage - does that sound right?

What do you mean by "less formal usage"?  Do you mean use on the project
blog, the support forums, etc., e.g., in a PMC-directed way?  If so this
might be fine.  But if you mean that we allow it to be freely used outside
of the project, then I think 2.1 is much too similar to the official logo,

Ask yourself, would it confuse the public if the logo showed up in an eBay
action next to a sale of OpenOffice CD's?  Would it confuse the user if it
shows up on an external page claiming to raise funds?  Would it suggest
affiliation with the project if it showed up on a 3rd part consultant's
webpage?

I'm all in favor of a community logo that can be used more broadly, but it
I think it needs to be more than subtly different than the official logo.
I think your "download" and "get it here" logos are good examples.  We
could allow anyone to use these logos in any context, provided it links
back to download.openoffice.org or www.openoffice.org.  We could also allow
it to be translated (the "download" and "get it here" strings) and link to
NL pages like de.openoffice.org.