incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Is any one here familiar with OpenOffice?
Date Mon, 12 Mar 2012 18:42:11 GMT
On Mon, Mar 12, 2012 at 2:24 PM, drew jensen <drewjensen.inbox@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, 2012-03-12 at 08:50 -0400, Rob Weir wrote:
>> I jest,of course.
>>
>> But seriously, there are some claiming that "all" of the
>> OpenOffice.org project went over to LibreOffice and that the Apache
>> has zero experience with this code base.  I know this sounds crazy,
>> but how can we best refute that statement?
>
> Not always - you don't always do the project a favor by arguing with
> each person saying something not 100% accurate.

I'm not suggesting we argue with anyone.  I'm suggesting we make
truthful positive statements about this project and the experience
level of its participants.

>> Here's my idea:  Respond to this note and tell me how many years
>> experience you have working with OpenOffice.  This could be in any
>> capacity, as a coder, tester, documentation, marketing, forum
>> volunteer, whatever.  Please count relevant work with related
>> projects, such as Symphony, BSD ports, OOo4Kids, ODF, etc. as well.
>> How many years were you doing this before the project came to Apache?
>>
>> If I get a good number of responses I'll put together an infographic on this.
>
> I would strongly advise to let the _code_ do the talking.

As someone said before, community over code.   The code will speak,
certainly, but that doesn't prevent the community from speaking as
well.  So long as we are accurate and truthful the messages we
reinforce each other.  That is not a bad thing.

-Rob