incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org>
Subject Making it easy for IPMC members to vote in favor of AOO 3.4
Date Sat, 31 Mar 2012 15:14:51 GMT
Try to imagine yourself in the IPMC, being asked to vote for the release of
AOO 3.4.  You want to make sure the release follows Apache policies and
guidelines.  You want to protect the ASF.  You want to ensure that users,
including developers using our source code packages, get the greatest
benefit from the release.  But you are faced with a 10 million line code
project, larger and more complex than anything you've faced before at
Apache.

What do you do?  Where do you start?

Honestly, I have absolutely no idea.  It is daunting task.  But I think it
is in our best interest as a PPMC to make our AOO 3.4 Release Candidate
easy to review for the IPMC.  This means understanding the common questions
and concerns they might have and preparing answers to these in advance.

I've drafted an outline, and filled in some of the blanks, for a "Summary
of Apache OpenOffice 3.4 IP Review" document on the wiki. I think this will
help raise the IPMC comfort level by documenting in one place the due
diligence we performed and the final results. It also highlights the
unusual things that came up in this project, such as the "mere aggregation"
inclusion of dictionaries in the binary packages.

Here it is:

https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OOOUSERS/Summary+of+Apache+OpenOffice+3.4+IP+Review+Activities

Any help in filling in the blanks would be much appreciated, by me (of
course), but hopefully also by the IPMC.   If we should cover other topics,
add those as well.

Regards,

-Rob