incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [RELEASE] NOTICE and LICENSE file
Date Tue, 27 Mar 2012 15:01:55 GMT
On Tue, Mar 27, 2012 at 10:54 AM, Oliver-Rainer Wittmann <
orwittmann@googlemail.com> wrote:

> Hi
>
> Thx for the input so far.
>
> My work stopped, because of the ongoing discussion on legal-discuss. Greg
> Stein has started at legal-discuss a corresponding thread, named "use of
> LICENSE and NOTICE". To be sure how to proceed I will send the following
> information to legal-discuss:
>
> List of links on apache.org with information regarding the content of the
> LICENSE file and the NOTICE file which I have found:
> [1] http://www.apache.org/legal/**src-headers.html#notice<http://www.apache.org/legal/src-headers.html#notice>
> [2] http://apache.org/legal/**resolved.html#required-third-**party-notices<http://apache.org/legal/resolved.html#required-third-party-notices>
> [3] http://www.apache.org/legal/**src-headers.html#header-**
> existingcopyright<http://www.apache.org/legal/src-headers.html#header-existingcopyright>
> [4] http://www.apache.org/**licenses/example-NOTICE.txt<http://www.apache.org/licenses/example-NOTICE.txt>
> [5] http://incubator.apache.org/**guides/releasemanagement.html#**
> best-practice-license<http://incubator.apache.org/guides/releasemanagement.html#best-practice-license>
> [6] http://incubator.apache.org/**guides/releasemanagement.html#**
> best-practice-notice<http://incubator.apache.org/guides/releasemanagement.html#best-practice-notice>
>
> My intepretation of this information and the information given in the
> thread at legal-discuss is the following:
> - Content of LICENSE file - general conclusion:
> -- Apache license at the top
> -- Licenses of all 3rd party components included in the specific package
> of a release inclusive a clear identification of the files to whose the
> license apply.
>
> - Content of NOTICE file - general conclusion:
> -- Standard copyright notice as given at [1] at the top
> -- Notices which are required by 3rd party component licenses which should
> be quite rare.

One other thing in the NOTICE file, which is talked about in [3] above.
That is relocated copyright notices.   For example, with the ODF Toolkit,
many of original files had an IBM copyright statement in them. We removed
these notices for the individual files and put a single line in the NOTICE
reading, "Portions copyright IBM, 2009-2011. All rights reserved."   I
think the equivalent here would be the files that Andrew updated from
Oracle.   If Oracle wants a similar statement it would go in the NOTICE
file.