incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [EXTENSIONS][RELEASE] (was RE: Calling all volunteers: It is time to test)
Date Mon, 05 Mar 2012 18:08:51 GMT
On Mon, Mar 5, 2012 at 12:29 PM, Dennis E. Hamilton
<dennis.hamilton@acm.org> wrote:
> If there is no solution for extensions, Apache OpenOffice 3.4 early incubator releases
should not overload prior versions of OO.o.  I recommend that AOO 3.4 install in its own
locations and not do anything that would prevent side-by-side functioning.  (My recommendation
would be that it do that anyhow.  But with known breaking of an important down-level feature,
that becomes imperative.)

In general, it is important for OOo 3.3 and earlier installs on
desktops to go away. Old releases increasingly become security
hazards, especially if they are no longer being actively maintained.
We do a great service to the community in general if we overwrite them
with the AOO 3.4.  This is true even given the inconvenience the user
experiences from the need to reinstall extensions.

In any case, I think the overwrite is fine.  It is what OOo 3.3 and
OOo 3.2 did as well by default.  We can document in the install
intructions how this can be overridden.

> I think there should be OOo-dev releases only until this is handled as well.  It is
now clear that integration has problems and there is no reason to provoke more of it.

If you are volunteering to re-write the extension manager client
database support, please speak up and let us know your plan.

> I also suspect that it is not a good idea to rebrand the Extensions and Templates pages
at SourceForge quite so strongly, since the only extensions that are there now are for OO.o
(and perhaps LibreOffice).