incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [EXTENSIONS][RELEASE] (was RE: Calling all volunteers: It is time to test)
Date Mon, 05 Mar 2012 19:46:14 GMT
On Mon, Mar 5, 2012 at 2:37 PM, Jean Weber <jeanweber@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 06/03/2012, at 4:30, Larry Gusaas <larry.gusaas@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On 2012-03-05 12:08 PM  Rob Weir wrote:
releases should not overload prior versions of OO.o.  I recommend that AOO 3.4 install in
its own locations and not do anything that would prevent side-by-side functioning.  (My recommendation
would be that it do that anyhow.  But with known breaking of an important down-level feature,
that becomes imperative.)

>>> In general, it is important for OOo 3.3 and earlier installs on
>>> desktops to go away. Old releases increasingly become security
>>> hazards, especially if they are no longer being actively maintained.
>>> We do a great service to the community in general if we overwrite them
>>> with the AOO 3.4.  This is true even given the inconvenience the user
>>> experiences from the need to reinstall extensions.
>>
>> Users need to be informed that they will need to reinstall extensions if AOO 3.4
overwrites OOo3.x.x

>> One option would be to not use the same user profile as OOo 3.x.x and create a new
profile for AOO 3.4. Or do as LibreOffice did when it came out and import the data that can
be used from the OOo user profile into a new profile.

>>> In any case, I think the overwrite is fine.  It is what OOo 3.3 and
>>> OOo 3.2 did as well by default.  We can document in the install
>>> intructions how this can be overridden.
>>
>> The warning would have to be on the download page before the download link. How many
current users of OOo actually read the install instructions before installing a new version?

 It is now clear that integration has problems and there is no reason to provoke more of
it.
>> Agree
>>

> Rob,
>
> When an installation wipes out some or all of the user's extensions or other customisations
of a previous version, that is a sure way to alienate a LOT of people and create a lot of
very bad publicity, in addition to the inconvenience to users. I agree with Dennis and Larry
that this is unacceptable. Indeed, I am very dismayed that anyone would seriously consider
doing that. And documenting the issue, while necessary, is far from sufficient. Most people
don't read the instructions, as you should know.

I'm not aware of "other customizations" being overwritten in this
case. Can you say more?

-Rob