incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Christian Lohmaier <cl...@openoffice.org>
Subject Re: Doctype of websites
Date Thu, 15 Mar 2012 15:41:35 GMT
Hi Dave, *,

probably one of my last messages on the list since I'll be gone with
the forwarder.. (so assume I will not read replies tomorrow/whenever
the switch is flipped)

On Thu, Mar 15, 2012 at 4:32 PM, Dave Fisher <dave2wave@comcast.net> wrote:
> On Mar 15, 2012, at 7:37 AM, Rob Weir wrote:
>> On Thu, Mar 15, 2012 at 10:33 AM, Dave Fisher <dave2wave@comcast.net> wrote:
>>> On Mar 15, 2012, at 12:22 AM, Regina Henschel wrote:
> [...]

Old OOo pages were xhtml transitional, that is correct. And at least
the www.openoffice.org and de.openoffice.org pages were fully valid
(according to the w3c validator)

CollabNet Enterprise Edition (that was used before Kenai, and after
SourceCast (the old name of older version of CollabNet Enterprise
Edition that was used even earlier) did as well ignore the doctype and
other meta-tags, but merged title and meta tags into the overall
templating system.
So all pages were delivered as xhtml - of course that didn't make them
valid, but that means that they worked for the users and editors with
that doctype.

> [...]
> I think that ssi.mdtext should add a line like:
>
> doctype:        <!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN"
"http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/loose.dtd">

Please don't turn back the wheel of time. If you want to make a
unification, then I suggest you either user xhtml transitional, or
make the step to html5 right away as default.

ciao
Christian