incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Kevin Grignon <>
Subject Re: After AOO 3.4, attracting new contributors
Date Tue, 20 Mar 2012 02:57:55 GMT

I agree, making this project open and accessible for all who want to
contribute is an important consideration.

With regards to the short term priorities and delivering AOO 3.4 to
maintain traction, I completely agree.

With regards to a post AOO 3.4 approach, I would advocate a balanced
approach that seeks a harmonious blend between the product direction and
sustainability, technical feasibility and end user desirability. I feel the
best way to realize such balance in the final product, is to mirror a
similar balance in our approach and process.

Perhaps we could seek to organize in specific sub-communities that seek to
not only complete tasks, but communities, where the our volunteers learn
about a discipline (product management, user experience design,
development, testing, documentation, etc.) learn how to manage the effort,
learn how integrate their contribution, learn how to drive change and have
an impact.

As I am new to this effort, my initial thoughts may be obvious to the more
seasoned contributor. For my part, I can say that I am very interested in
contributing to our user experience and product design approach. I will
observe my new UX contributor experience and capture any thoughts that
might help contribute to attracting and retaining other design-oriented
volunteers moving forward.

I'm looking forward to continuing this conversation.

Best regards,