incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Donald Harbison <dpharbi...@gmail.com>
Subject Transliteration Font Support of Apache OpenOffice 3.4 and beyond...
Date Wed, 14 Mar 2012 02:14:22 GMT
I'm looking for advice on the current state of transliteration support in
OpenOffice. Is anyone familiar with this issue? My Dad is a Sanskrit
scholar, now 98 years old. Some of his manuscripts were authored in
WordPerfect circa 1985 with special macros to enable him to do the
transliteration from Sanskrit to Roman alphabets prior to publication. It
appears that OpenOffice 3.0 had support for specific Unicode fonts
supporting transliteration.

It would be great if the community would focus some effort on academic
publishing requirements such as this. There are other aspects to this space
that we can attend to which could create some exciting value for scholars
who have crappy tools today. For example, integration of the R statistics
package http://www.r-project.org/ ... just a thought. We may have some
licensing challenges but if we think about how valuable this could
be...well. there must be a solution, right?

Does anyone have a view on the current state of this transliteration
support? Any end user documentation to help me study so I can tutor my Dad
on this. The guy is sharp as a tack, and still has a pile of work to do. :))

/don

See the attachment for some background context.