incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Jean Weber <jeanwe...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [EXTENSIONS][RELEASE] (was RE: Calling all volunteers: It is time to test)
Date Mon, 05 Mar 2012 20:07:31 GMT
On Tue, Mar 6, 2012 at 05:46, Rob Weir <robweir@apache.org> wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 5, 2012 at 2:37 PM, Jean Weber <jeanweber@gmail.com> wrote:

releases should not overload prior versions of OO.o.  I recommend that AOO 3.4 install in
its own locations and not do anything that would prevent side-by-side functioning.  (My recommendation
would be that it do that anyhow.  But with known breaking of an important down-level feature,
that becomes imperative.)

>>> Users need to be informed that they will need to reinstall extensions if AOO
3.4 overwrites OOo3.x.x

>>> One option would be to not use the same user profile as OOo 3.x.x and create
a new profile for AOO 3.4. Or do as LibreOffice did when it came out and import the data that
can be used from the OOo user profile into a new profile.

>>> The warning would have to be on the download page before the download link. How
many current users of OOo actually read the install instructions before installing a new version?

well.  It is now clear that integration has problems and there is no reason to provoke more
of it.
>>> Agree
>>>

>> Rob,
>>
>> When an installation wipes out some or all of the user's extensions or other customisations
of a previous version, that is a sure way to alienate a LOT of people and create a lot of
very bad publicity, in addition to the inconvenience to users. I agree with Dennis and Larry
that this is unacceptable. Indeed, I am very dismayed that anyone would seriously consider
doing that. And documenting the issue, while necessary, is far from sufficient. Most people
don't read the instructions, as you should know.

> I'm not aware of "other customizations" being overwritten in this
> case. Can you say more?
>
> -Rob
>
>> Jean

Generic statement, intended to cover other possibilities of which I
might not be aware.

--Jean