incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From Yue Helen <helenyu...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Competition (was: Clarifying facts)
Date Wed, 14 Mar 2012 08:59:42 GMT
2012/3/14 J├╝rgen Schmidt <jogischmidt@googlemail.com>

> On 3/13/12 11:36 PM, Joe Schaefer wrote:
>
>> You're entitled to a dissenting opinion as an individual,
>> but shaping the marketplace is not part of what we do
>> as a public charity.  Just look at how the subversion
>> project has handled contributions related to git migration tools
>>
>> for instance (yes you chose an apt example but just don't know
>> the true history)- our role organizationally is to facilitate user
>> satisfactionno matter where they may ultimately find it.
>>
>> Friendly internal competition in terms of overall community is fine,
>> but respect for other open source projects should not be sacrificed
>> as a result.  LibreOffice is part of the landscape now, like it or not,
>> and failing to mention them simply to avoid elevating any attention
>> towards them is not what I'd call friendly internal competition.
>>
>
> nobody complained about LibreOffice and we respect their work and what
> they have achieved from a marketing perspective. But I think we all don't
> like the wrong facts that others (whoever it is) are spreading around
> OpenOffice and Apache OpenOffice.

+1


> The opposite is true we would welcome any developers (including the
> LibreOffice developers) to join our project and work together. As you know
> because of the license the other way is not possible.
>
> +1

> I would very much prefer if we can simply concentrate on our project where
> we have enough to do at the moment. Everything else can we do later. And I
> would also appreciate if other people would accept the situation as it is,
> Apache OpenOffice is alive, will deliver and our users are waiting on our
> new release.
>
> +1
I'm new here...I'm not native English speaker...It took me much time to
read this thread...and learned...I guess it also took you much time to type
:-) ...so I believe the above opinion is correct and good for us...focus on
the project, whether FAQ or code. All contributors have my respect.

Helen

> Juergen
>
>

>
>>
>>
>> ----- Original Message -----
>>
>>> From: Rob Weir<robweir@apache.org>
>>> To: ooo-dev@incubator.apache.org
>>> Cc:
>>> Sent: Tuesday, March 13, 2012 6:28 PM
>>> Subject: Competition (was: Clarifying facts)
>>>
>>> On Tue, Mar 13, 2012 at 5:33 PM, Joe Schaefer<joe_schaefer@yahoo.**com<joe_schaefer@yahoo.com>
>>> >
>>> wrote:
>>> <snip>
>>>
>>>>
>>>>  At Apache we aren't in competition with other projects,
>>>>  we provide our work for the public benefit and leave
>>>>  discretion about adoption to the public.  Please keep
>>>>  that in mind, and stick to providing resources that
>>>>  benefit general members of the public.
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>> I disagree.  Or at least I think that there is more nuance to what you
>>> mean than what you wrote.
>>>
>>> Competition is the natural outcome of offering choice.  It is
>>> impossible for us to offer a word processor and not to compete against
>>> every other word processor, open source or proprietary, that is
>>> available for users to choose from.  If we offer choice, we are in
>>> competition.  When we implement features that users want, or bugs that
>>> users report, then we are competing against every other market player
>>> who is also trying to satisfy those customers.
>>>
>>> So competition is not evil, and I don't see how we avoid it unless we
>>> write software that no one wants or uses.
>>>
>>> But what we should not be doing, as a project, is undertaking
>>> competitive marketing campaigns against specific competitors.  For
>>> example, it would be improper for us to publish under the project's
>>> imprimatur a whitepaper listing "10 reasons to ditch AbiWord and use
>>> OpenOffice" or a blog post that says "KOffice has not had a new
>>> release in months, their users should urgently move to OpenOffice".
>>> In fact, we could look at almost any of the LibreOffice marketing
>>> campaigns against OpenOffice and almost all of them would be
>>> inappropriate for this Apache project to engage in, IMHO.
>>>
>>> We should, of course, tell the story of Apache OpenOffice, what its
>>> benefits are and why it is good for users.  Every project has the
>>> right to its own messaging on its benefits.  That is a basic part of
>>> community development.  It would be very odd if git developers came
>>> over and decided to write a new project FAQ for Subversion.
>>>
>>> -Rob
>>>
>>>
>

Mime
  • Unnamed multipart/alternative (inline, None, 0 bytes)
View raw message