incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Ross Gardler <rgard...@opendirective.com>
Subject Sourceforge and AOO 3.4 distribution
Date Mon, 19 Mar 2012 15:03:38 GMT
I just had a call with Roberto from SourceForge in which he updated me
on what they've done with the templates and extensions sites. I asked
Roberto to send a summary to this list, but I just wanted to extend my
thanks to him and the team at SourceForge, along with the people here
in AOO and ASF infra who have helped.

Roberto also asked if there is anything SF can do to help distributing
the AOO 3.4 We've discussed this a few times but as we are now close
to a release I think it is worth recapping and making sure everything
is lined up OK.

- what are the likely bandwidth requirements when the release goes out?

- does ASF Infra feel confident the existing mirror network will support this?

- can SF become a part of that mirror network in a sensible way?
  - note that SF does not provide direct links to the download, they
provide an intermediate page with advertising

- should any of the old OOo mirrors be incorporated into the ASF mirror system?
  - will they want the additional overhead brought by all other ASF projects?

My own feeling is that the ASF infra team would not really be
interesting in changing the mirror system in any way, however I am
*not* member of the infra team and cannot speak for them. Joe, of
course is. If the PPMC sees the need to explore SF hosting then I
suggest someone picks this up and liaises between ASF Infra, AOO and
SF. IF the PPMC is confident that the existing mirror system is
sufficient then no need to revisit.

Ross

--
Ross Gardler (@rgardler)