incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Ross Gardler <rgard...@opendirective.com>
Subject Re: Blog idea: interviews with AOO developers
Date Fri, 16 Mar 2012 11:58:25 GMT
This discussion seems to have stalled, that's a shame it was a good
idea and I saw a few people willing to take on the work.

My suggestion is for those wanting to try this out to just do it. It
doesn't need to be perfect or meet the full and active approval of the
PPMC. Just as long as it is something and nobody objects.

I've tried to answer some of Nancy's questions below...

On 16 February 2012 20:55, Nancy K <nancythirteen@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Victims:
>        * Is there a database of comments from development contributor and other contributors
that we can use? If so, we could start at the top and approach the name of one who posted
the most in the last year or so.  We could
> work our way down the list. They can always say 'not now...' or 'no way'!

I'm not sure what you mean by "comments from development contributor",
but I think this might be over thinking it. There are a few candidates
who self identified in this thread already, just pick on them and
start asking questions.

You also have the recent thread about who has experience in OOo. This
gave lots of quick bio's that could be used to add a little flavour to
each of the interviews. I'm guessing since these people were willing
to post their OOo bio to this list they would be willing to be
interviewed.

However, be careful not to limit it to just people who've been around
for some time. Newcomers are just as important for different reasons.

My feeling is that once someone has the ball rolling others will step forwards.

>        * I like Rob's list of questions for starters - any more questions that would
help in an interview?

I suggest the more open the question the more interesting and varied
the interviews will be. Things like "Why do you think ODF is
important?" and "Why is AOO valuable to the ODF ecosystem?".

I hope that you will avoid any potentially leading questions that
places AOO in competition with other projects in the ODF space
(although individuals are, of course, free to answer the open
questions in any way they want - but lets try to be constructive).

>        * Is there a place set up to post the results?

I'd suggest collating (even conducting) the raw interviews on the
wiki. Then when you have 2-3 interesting and related comments from new
people write up a blog post about that topic.

>        * Louis - you had experience doing this before, do you suggest emails, skype
- free trials of Adobe Connect - anything helpful to use in an interview?

I'm not Louis, but...

Perhaps email is better for most, it is asynchronous and gives time to
consider the responses fully (especially important to those who are
not native English speakers).

It would be good to have some audio interviews about AOO too, but the
best vehicle for that is probably via Feathercast, see
http://feathercast.apache.org/ (if anyone wants to conduct a
feathercast interview let me know)

Ross

> Nancy
>
>      Nancy      Web Design
> Free 24 hour pass to lynda.com.
> Video courses on SEO, CMS,
> Design and Software Courses

project yet. I am still avialable - I guess I hid my offer between ideas on my last post.

--
Ross Gardler (@rgardler)
Programme Leader (Open Development)