incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Kay Schenk <kay.sch...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Is any one here familiar with OpenOffice?
Date Mon, 12 Mar 2012 22:47:07 GMT
On Mon, Mar 12, 2012 at 5:50 AM, Rob Weir <robweir@apache.org> wrote:

> I jest,of course.
>
> But seriously, there are some claiming that "all" of the
> OpenOffice.org project went over to LibreOffice and that the Apache
> has zero experience with this code base.  I know this sounds crazy,
> but how can we best refute that statement?
>
> Here's my idea:  Respond to this note and tell me how many years
> experience you have working with OpenOffice.  This could be in any
> capacity, as a coder, tester, documentation, marketing, forum
> volunteer, whatever.  Please count relevant work with related
> projects, such as Symphony, BSD ports, OOo4Kids, ODF, etc. as well.
> How many years were you doing this before the project came to Apache?

I have been working with OpenOffice since early 2001, probably slightly
before the 1.0 release. Initially, as a beginning Linux devotee, this was
as a user only. I was actually using a "trial" version of StarOffice
*right* before OpenOffice came into existence.

After complaining about some aspects of the web site, I was asked to "help"
change/fix things. :}

And, so, I did. Primarily from that point on, I have contributed to web
development of the site, and to a lesser extent, fine tuning the download
efforts.

> If I get a good number of responses I'll put together an infographic on
> this.
>
> Regards,
>
> -Rob

MzK