incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Kay Schenk <kay.sch...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Apache OpenOffice Extensions Website restored at SourceForge
Date Tue, 13 Mar 2012 16:53:30 GMT
On Tue, Mar 13, 2012 at 5:54 AM, Roberto Galoppini <rgaloppini@geek.net>wrote:

> 2012/3/13 J├╝rgen Schmidt <jogischmidt@googlemail.com>:
> > On 3/13/12 8:09 AM, Roberto Galoppini wrote:
> >>
> >> Here a quick update, see below.

> associate

> solution
> >>

> >> We collaboratevely find a solution to the problem, and we are going to
> >> migrate Extensions and Templates users' accounts as soon as we'll get
> >> all the necessary information. Once done users will be able to reset
> >> their passwords through the "Lost password?" function.
> >>
> >> Keep in mind that starting from the 15th of March users will
> >> eventually loose the opportunity to login using their openoffice.org
> >> passwords, though.
> >>
> > thanks fir the update Roberto, can you tell me where we are with the
> > extension update Url and the service behind. Do you need help to
> understand
> > what the service has done? We have to check the code to figure out how
> the
> > requests look in detail ...
>
> We have already investigated how it works, and we do actually serve
> updates requests answering that there are no updates. This is just as
> it was configured before.
>
> Any information about how the update protocol works would be helpful
> for the future, though.
>
> Roberto

OK, I have an odd question. Is this the same "update protocol" that is used
to update the actual base package -- i.e. OOo -- the same "update"
capability that is currently missing from, say, the existing Linux 32-bit
build?

Roberto-- where can we get more info on what is actually being "served" in
response to update request? That is, the URL for it.

*IF* the same "update protocol" is used for everything, base package and
extensions, here is what I (we) know. Apparently, there was some
proprietary tool in place from what I gather in which entries were
(manually?) entered for "products". That tool created atom feeds at a
specified URL which the "products/extensions" would then reference for
updates.

In building, both Regina and Ariel were able to successfully test an
"update" by creating an atom feed with a single entry for their respective
platforms (windows, linux-64 with debian packaging), and I think actually
perform the update.

There is information on the "format" of the feed on the wiki:

http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/Update_Notification_Protocol

but NOTHING about how the feed gets constructed.

I have been wanting to experiment with adding more than one entry to the
existing sample feed I ported  (usign Ariel's test) to:

http://www.openoffice.org/ProductUpdateService/check.Update

If someone knows enough to add more "entries" to this feed complying to
"atom" rules, that would be great. I don't know anything about how
"matches" occur in this context.

> > In the extension manager dialog the user can ask for updates of installed
> > extensions ... But I am sure you are aware of this ;-)
> >
> > Juergen
> ====
> This e- mail message is intended only for the named recipient(s) above. It
> may contain confidential and privileged information. If you are not the
> intended recipient you are hereby notified that any dissemination,
> distribution or copying of this e-mail and any attachment(s) is strictly
> prohibited. If you have received this e-mail in error, please immediately
> notify the sender by replying to this e-mail and delete the message and any
> attachment(s) from your system. Thank you.

MzK

"Follow your bliss."
         -- attributed to Joseph Campbell