incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Roberto Galoppini <rgalopp...@geek.net>
Subject Re: Apache OpenOffice Extensions/Templates Sites: State of the art
Date Tue, 27 Mar 2012 18:44:59 GMT
On Tue, Mar 27, 2012 at 4:08 PM, Roberto Galoppini <rgaloppini@geek.net> wrote:
> Below some updates:
>
> On Tue, Mar 20, 2012 at 8:51 PM, Roberto Galoppini <rgaloppini@geek.net> wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> Here is a quick recap of what we at SourceForge have been doing over
>> the last weeks to help the Apache Open Office community and what we
>> plan to do in the near future.
>>
>> - Full analysis of the configurations and setup of the Extensions and
>> Templates sites, to better understand existing and potential future
>> issues;
>>
>> - Maintenance and updates to he Drupal modules of the two sites; (this
>> included the update of the Drupal 5 platform to work with PHP 5.3)
>>
>> - Analysis of the performance issues of the sites replacing the caching systems;
>>
>> - Transparent Redirects to the SourceForge mirror for uploads' and
>> downloads' operations to enabling a faster download and reducing
>> significantly the load on the Drupal servers;
>>
>> - Rewriting all parts of the sites depending on
>> extensions/templates.services.openoffice.org URLs;
>> (the actual extensions/templates.openoffice.org can be relocated at
>> any other URL the community might like);
>>
>> - Allowing users to login both with the openoffice.org accounts and
>> with local accounts;
>> (in order to manage smoothly the shutdown of Oracle infrastructure);
>>
>> - Automatic conversion of openoffice.org users' accounts to local accounts;
>> (all users who actually logged in before Oracle shutdown were hence
>> migrated seamless)
>>
>> - Creation of new accounts directly as local accounts and not as an
>> account at openoffice.org;
>>
>> - Managing the transition of active users to the new system by direct
>> mailing them prior to the receipt of  users' accounts; (we needed to
>> do that in order to avoid the risk of having active users out of the
>> system for some days)
>>
>> What's next:
>>
>> 1 - We plan to Migrats all users right away, providing them also with
>> some interesting info (e.g. extensions/templates recently created,
>> statistics, etc)
>
> We migrated all users who could be migrated.
>
> - OpenOffice.org users' has no emails ('#N/A') for about 7500 users
> - Extensions users are virtually all restored (missing
> mapping/properly mapped: 78/11700);
> - Templates users are largely restored but not all (missing
> mapping/properly mapped: 7480/28582).
>
> All Extensions migrated users should use
> http://extensions.services.openoffice.org/en/user/password to restore
> their passwords.
> All Templated migrated users should use
> http://templates.services.openoffice.org/en/user/password to restore
> their passwords.
>
> How to reset: insert your username without "@openoffice.org" and
> you'll get a password reset link e-mailed to you.
>
> We are going to inform them by email right away.

Below a draft text for the Templates mass mailing (Extensions is just
the same, but tailored for that constituency). Let me know if you want
us to add something about the upcoming release or if you have any
other suggestion.

Dear OpenOffice.org Templates user,

As you may have heard, Oracle contributed the OpenOffice.org (OOo)
code to Apache in June 2011. As part of this move, we are about to
lose access to the servers that formerly hosted the OpenOffice.org website
and various other online services associated with the project,
included the Templates websites.

Since SourceForge is currently hosting the Templates website, in
collaboration with the Apache OpenOffice community we are working to
help you to smoothly retain full control over your existing Templates
credentials.

All you need to do is to go to the following page and reset your password.

http://templates.services.openoffice.org/en/user/password

Whatever was your role at the OpenOffice.org community, we'd like to
say thank you for your past contributions, and we look forward to see
you help also the Apache OpenOffice community to succeed. We want also
to take the chance to inform you that the Apache OpenOffice Templates
and Apache OpenOffice Extensions were the first and second,
respectively, on the last week's list of top-growth projects. That is,
downloads for these two collections grew more in the last week than
any other project on SourceForge.

You maybe interested in knowing who are the top 10 Templates or which
are the top countries by download, see below for more information.

Top 10 Templates

Basic Resume: http://aoo-templates.sourceforge.net/en/node/1312
Tri Fold Brochure: http://aoo-templates.sourceforge.net/en/node/3067
Business card template: http://aoo-templates.sourceforge.net/en/node/1163/
Chronological Resume : http://aoo-templates.sourceforge.net/en/node/6431
This Is a Resume : http://aoo-templates.sourceforge.net/en/node/6575
DIN Brief mit Fenster links: http://aoo-templates.sourceforge.net/en/node/5039/
Resume Template: http://aoo-templates.sourceforge.net/en/node/3083
2012 Month/Year Calendar and Planner with Holidays.
http://aoo-templates.sourceforge.net/en/node/8321
Hourly Service Invoice: http://aoo-templates.sourceforge.net/en/node/3646
Project Management Template with Gantt Schedule creation:
http://aoo-templates.sourceforge.net/en/node/5927/

Top Countries by Downloads:

1.      United States
2.      Germany
3.      Canada
4.      France
5.      UK
6.      Italy
7.      Spain
8.      Japan
9.      Russia
10.     Australia

Downloads by Operative Systems:

1.      Windows                    84.40%
2.      Macintosh                  13.76%
3.      Linux                       2.84%

>> 2 - Help market AOO Extensions and Templates, e.g. interviewing
>> creators and sharing the news via our media. Our community growth
>> hacker and Apache member Rich Bowen will be happy to help with that.
>
> Rich will connect with some of them starting from the very next days,
> who ever wants to be interviewed can send an email to
> communityteam@sourceforge.net
>
> Roberto
>
>> I wish also to take the chance here to thanks Ross Gardler, who
>> mentored us through the collaboration process, Rob Weir for his inputs
>> and support, and Gavin McDonald and the whole Infra team, who provided
>> us with all necessary information, often getting help in turn from
>> Andrew Rist (who was also supportive and helpful).
>>
>> I think it's also appropriate to give credit to our SiteOp team,
>> especially Jacob Morman who was the owner of the activity on our side,
>> and Wayne Davison who worked hard, deployed new servers, and went
>> above and beyond the call of duty in getting this deployed quickly.
>> Our engineering team did a lot of work especially, Dave Brondsema was
>> also of great help, enabling our Allura open source forge to deliver
>> on performance. We’re also very grateful to Antonio DeMarco the
>> contractor who actually turned all our specifications and fix requests
>> into a working platform. And I’s also like to thank Mark Ramm who
>> helped mobilize and organize the engineering, contractor, and site
>> operations work so that we could get this done quickly. Last but not
>> least, I wish to say thank to Andrea Pescetti, who actually provided
>> us with all details about how those websites work.
>>
>> Roberto
====
This e- mail message is intended only for the named recipient(s) above. It may contain confidential
and privileged information. If you are not the intended recipient you are hereby notified
that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this e-mail and any attachment(s) is strictly
prohibited. If you have received this e-mail in error, please immediately notify the sender
by replying to this e-mail and delete the message and any attachment(s) from your system.
Thank you.