incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Roberto Galoppini <rgalopp...@geek.net>
Subject Feedback Requested: Proposed SourceForce Mirror of AOO 3.4
Date Fri, 23 Mar 2012 14:28:50 GMT
Hi all,

 I'm resending our proposal as per previous thread 'Sourceforge and
AOO 3.4 distribution' asking for a feedback.

As Mark Ramm wrote before we could commit to delivering the full
download volume, we wanted to produce a vetted plan, including a clear
timeline and backing technical implementation plans.

What we are proposing is an elaboration of Joe’s ‘hybrid’ approach:

  - Both AOO and SF.net mirror networks would be used to provide
download capacity for the 3.4 release.
  - SourceForge.net would be the “recommended default download” on the website.
  - Apache Mirror network would be an alternate download option.
  - Apache OpenOffice team and Infrastructure team will maintain
control of the the auto-update URL’s and possibly follow Rob’s
suggestion to stagger automatic updates.

SourceForge.net will manage the full burst capacity for web-based
downloads through our global network of OSS mirrors, global CDN
network(s) and cloud file server providers.   Using these resources,
we anticipate our capacity is well above the expected delivery
requirements for the upcoming release.

In addition to basic download capacity, SourceForge will provide
detailed download statistics, which will support future product,
infrastructure and marketing plans.  We will commit to make stats
available on the SourceForge.net website and provide stats delivery
APIs.  We are able to capture initiated downloads, not just page
views, and will provide them split by geography and operating system.
We’re also willing to consider additional stats needs.

Proposed Timeline:

  - Immediately: SourceForge sets up Apache Infra team with
credentials on an AOO mirror project in sf.net
  - Firsr week:  SourceForge updates contracts with CDN and other
providers to handle full AOO peak release traffic
  - Second Week: AOO Infra team works with sf.net operations team to
ramp traffic to sf.net in a controlled way in order to gather
statistical data, verify assumptions, and give the Apache
infrastrucure team time to verify our capacity.
  - 1-2 days post test:  SF.net analyzes traffic data, assures that
our assumptions about geographic mix, and interactive vs automated
download mix, are valid and we can do this in a fiscally responsible
way.
  - 1-2 days post test: AOO infrastructure team analyses traffic data,
lets sf.net team know any additonal data needs, and validates that the
system will work for them

Once everything is tested and vetted on both sides, we will need to
make a CDN bandwidth commit, and would like the AOO team to commit to
notifying us 30 days prior to shutting down the flow of traffic, so
that we can update our contracts and avoid penalties.

We believe that the combination of SF.net mirrors, and CDN based burst
capacity will provide a fast and stable download experience for AOO
users, and will allow the AOO team to publicize the release in an
agressive manner.

Roberto
====
This e- mail message is intended only for the named recipient(s) above. It may contain confidential
and privileged information. If you are not the intended recipient you are hereby notified
that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this e-mail and any attachment(s) is strictly
prohibited. If you have received this e-mail in error, please immediately notify the sender
by replying to this e-mail and delete the message and any attachment(s) from your system.
Thank you.