incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Roberto Galoppini <rgalopp...@geek.net>
Subject Apache OpenOffice Extensions/Templates Sites: State of the art
Date Tue, 20 Mar 2012 19:51:57 GMT
Hi all,

Here is a quick recap of what we at SourceForge have been doing over
the last weeks to help the Apache Open Office community and what we
plan to do in the near future.

- Full analysis of the configurations and setup of the Extensions and
Templates sites, to better understand existing and potential future
issues;

- Maintenance and updates to he Drupal modules of the two sites; (this
included the update of the Drupal 5 platform to work with PHP 5.3)

- Analysis of the performance issues of the sites replacing the caching systems;

- Transparent Redirects to the SourceForge mirror for uploads' and
downloads' operations to enabling a faster download and reducing
significantly the load on the Drupal servers;

- Rewriting all parts of the sites depending on
extensions/templates.services.openoffice.org URLs;
(the actual extensions/templates.openoffice.org can be relocated at
any other URL the community might like);

- Allowing users to login both with the openoffice.org accounts and
with local accounts;
(in order to manage smoothly the shutdown of Oracle infrastructure);

- Automatic conversion of openoffice.org users' accounts to local accounts;
(all users who actually logged in before Oracle shutdown were hence
migrated seamless)

- Creation of new accounts directly as local accounts and not as an
account at openoffice.org;

- Managing the transition of active users to the new system by direct
mailing them prior to the receipt of  users' accounts; (we needed to
do that in order to avoid the risk of having active users out of the
system for some days)

What's next:

1 - We plan to Migrats all users right away, providing them also with
some interesting info (e.g. extensions/templates recently created,
statistics, etc)

2 - Help market AOO Extensions and Templates, e.g. interviewing
creators and sharing the news via our media. Our community growth
hacker and Apache member Rich Bowen will be happy to help with that.

I wish also to take the chance here to thanks Ross Gardler, who
mentored us through the collaboration process, Rob Weir for his inputs
and support, and Gavin McDonald and the whole Infra team, who provided
us with all necessary information, often getting help in turn from
Andrew Rist (who was also supportive and helpful).

I think it's also appropriate to give credit to our SiteOp team,
especially Jacob Morman who was the owner of the activity on our side,
and Wayne Davison who worked hard, deployed new servers, and went
above and beyond the call of duty in getting this deployed quickly.
Our engineering team did a lot of work especially, Dave Brondsema was
also of great help, enabling our Allura open source forge to deliver
on performance. We’re also very grateful to Antonio DeMarco the
contractor who actually turned all our specifications and fix requests
into a working platform. And I’s also like to thank Mark Ramm who
helped mobilize and organize the engineering, contractor, and site
operations work so that we could get this done quickly. Last but not
least, I wish to say thank to Andrea Pescetti, who actually provided
us with all details about how those websites work.

Roberto
====
This e- mail message is intended only for the named recipient(s) above. It may contain confidential
and privileged information. If you are not the intended recipient you are hereby notified
that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this e-mail and any attachment(s) is strictly
prohibited. If you have received this e-mail in error, please immediately notify the sender
by replying to this e-mail and delete the message and any attachment(s) from your system.
Thank you.