incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Claudio Filho <filh...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Web page for NL communities ?
Date Wed, 14 Mar 2012 17:51:04 GMT
Hi

2012/3/14 Rob Weir <robweir@apache.org>

> >> Then have a table listing the languages and the mailing lists. We
> >> could also have links to the website, e.g., de.openoffice.org. If
> >> there are official social media accounts used by that community (a
> >> Facebook page ot Twitter account, for example) we could link to those
> >> as well.

We did it here, in Brazil. Before the trademark problem with
"OpenOffice.org", we registered the oo.org.br domain and hosted in our
servers here inside a Drupal. Was an interesting experience looking that we
had news, tutorials/manuals, magazine and a lot of other projects, being
the reference point about OOo/BrOo/ODF in our country.

In other hand, agregating all in the same site, is a interesting approach,
consolidating the project as an international/multilingual project. In this
way, i think that a CMS can be the better option. IMHO, a CMS like Drupal,
connected in a robust DB like PgSQL, can give for us a infra for
communities. Looking this idea, can give us the flexibility for each NLC
make its theme and manage the content in his native(s) language(s).

> Wiki is fine also.  Personally, I prefer the Apache CMS and mdtext
> over Confluence wiki. It is easier to make a good looking page that
> has a consistent style with the rest of the site.  But as Emerson
> wrote:

I used many wikis and i need to agree that is necessary to see for end user
and volunteer with low profile (non-tecnical), where MediaWiki is a good
tool for this profile. We need the careful for a low curve learning, we can
target two (IMO) important goals:

* Promotion of product - to ensure growth of marketshare of product through
personal marketing ("mouth-to-mouth");

* A door "more easy" for new volunteers - to bring more users for AOO
project. When i started OOoBr/BrOo, only few people understood that the
focus is the international project, and with the time, was more easy enter
in BrOo and after arrives "more adapted" into OOo.

Well, only a experience that some people here saw in our old community.

Best,
Claudio