incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Claudio Filho <filh...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Regional AOO sites [was: Re: openoffice.fm]
Date Thu, 29 Mar 2012 13:29:07 GMT
Hi

2012/3/28 Rob Weir <robweir@apache.org>:
> We have the ability to host such sites here at Apache, as subdomains of the
> openoffice.org domain.  For example, http://de.openoffice.org is for
> German.  It then redirects to http://www.openoffice.org/de/ which is a
> subdirectory of our web site's content tree.

Yes, that is (practically) the same thing that before.

> If a website is done that way, then project committers have direct access
> to checking in changes, via the CMS or Subversion.  Other contributors can
> submit patches.

I see different, Rob, why in this way is good to maintain a "core"
pages, like in Debian (where i help too) that all content are under
CVS using WML, giving a very good support to manage and see how old is
a translation. A example is this page[1].
[1]http://www.debian.org/devel/website/stats/pt#outdated

>> Can we follow this strategy?
>>
> Which strategy? Calling something "BrOffice"?

To have a regional site out of Apache's infra.

> For a website hosted at Apache, as part of the openoffice.org website, the
> CMS is available by default.

humm... a Wiki can be considered as CMS, but isn't easy or with same
resources/features that a communicative site. But with this phrase i
understand that here isn't the correct place to discuss this, and yes
in mkting list. I will do it.

> It is also certainly possible to have your own website, external to Apache,
> and run by local volunteers.  But it would be important to choose a domain
> name that did not imply that it was an official OpenOffice website.

As BrOffice, always became clear that was a *community* website, and
was a strategy to bring more volunteers and promote the product, like
a "adaptation land" before to jump for international project. We can
receive good efforts from a non-english community speakers inside each
country/region, finding people that can to do this "bridge" (or
facilitator) for AOO project.

> The simplest thing, I think, would be to host your website at Apache,
> something like http://br.openoffice.org.  Would that work?

As i said, I see fine to translate the portal for all languages, like
in Debian, but when we start to bring news, localized material (or
more specific like spreadsheets based in a local law), isn't
interesting to share. Others, like presentation templates, i agree
that is interesting to converge and to  join.

However, i will rewrite this email in mkting list.

Best,
Claudio