incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Roberto Salomon <roberto.salo...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [Translate] Users for Pootle Server
Date Mon, 12 Mar 2012 17:55:52 GMT
Opening up the editing of strings for all does not seem like a good idea.
We also need the translators to be properly identified in order to be able
to track translations to their original contributors.

Back in the "good old days", the Brazilian community organized the
translation in a tree structure where volunteers translated the strings in
the PO files that would be sent to reviewers for approval before being
uploaded to the source code tree.

The use of tools such as POEdit was tedious and there was a long learning
curve for new users. Pootle is a much friendlier interface where community
volunteers can quickly contribute with suggestions, as it is.

A workable model could be deployed in such a way where reviewers would have
write access to the server in order to accept or reject translations
suggested by the community. This would keep the group of "authorized" users
at a manageable size while not preventing the community at large from
contributing with their translations. Local translation mailing lists could
be used to identify most of the active volunteers by asking them to
subscribe to the list in order to receive credit for their work.

Most of the community in Brazil is made up of non-programmers and being
able to recognize volunteer participation from these non-techs would be a
great help in restarting the community.

--
Roberto Salomon
http://notaslivres.webhop.net