incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Roberto Salomon <roberto.salo...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Is any one here familiar with OpenOffice?
Date Mon, 12 Mar 2012 18:18:41 GMT
The best response that can be given to such statements is a stable and
reliable binary release of Apache OpenOffice for as many platforms as
possible.

I like to think that AOO is not in a market-share competition with LO. Both
projects aim towards delivering a working, reliable office suite that can
be freely used and distributed. There is a relevant difference, however, in
licensing terms. AOO would cater to users that are more comfortable with
the Apache License than the GPL/LGPL user by LO.

As for my experience:

* User since StarOffice for OS/2 (yes, that was some time ago)
* Volunteer translator since OpenOffice.org 2
* Brazilian community co-lead with Claudio from 2002 to 2007
* Debated and promoted ODF within the Brazilian Federal Government since
2006 when I participated in a debate regarding Digital Text Documents with
Microsoft and Adobe at the Brazilian House of Representatives.
* Supplied training for public and private sector enterprises in Brasília
(Brazil) from 2004 to 2007
* Developed and supported OpenOffice.org deployments for public sector
clients in Brasília  from 2004 to 2007
* Symphony and ODF evangelist and informal support at IBM's Brasilia Branch
office

Since 2007, I have been working at IBM but, with the exception of the last
bullet, all activities were prior to my employment and the migration of the
codebase to Apache.

--
Roberto Salomon
http://notaslivres.webhop.net