incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Dave Fisher <dave2w...@comcast.net>
Subject Re: How can we get OpenOffice started with Pootle?
Date Sat, 03 Mar 2012 01:04:47 GMT

On Mar 2, 2012, at 4:22 PM, Michael Bauer wrote:

> 02/03/2012 23:41, sgrìobh Gavin McDonald:
>> See https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/INFRA/translate+pootle+service+auth+levels
>> for more info on the privileges applied.
>>
>> You need not be logged in to submit translation suggestions.
>> Therefore, no need to be a committer to do so either.
>>
>> HTH
>>
>> Gav...
> Gavin, the nature of the best is that for small languages, you usually have a team of
one. If I add "Suggestions" then there is no-one who will accept them or, if I get the right
priviledges, I have to accept them at a later point myself. Or indeed, if someone suggests
a junk translation, then how will a committer who is unfamiliar with the language going to
know?

> I'd have to be at least a Project Admin level (looking at your table (by the way, should
that be "higher perms" instead of "giving higger perms"?). Not because I want to commit but
apart from the above reason, because I'm not doing anything unless I can make backups (sorry,
but I *almost* got burnt very badly when OOO went down) and because I need to be able to overwrite
some of the old stuff (I was in the middle of a major review of a lot of junk that ended up
in the Gaelic translation).

> If that's not an option, then I have to seriously think about participation in AOO.

Well I think that the PPMC needs to seriously think about how to handle very small NL projects
like Gaelic - Scottish. While yours is a specific case, it does point out a general problem.

How does AOO help smaller NL communities that do not already have committers bootstrap productive
translation of their language. How does the PPMC provide proper oversight in considering someone's
merit without work here at Apache? This may be a case where we will need members of the PPMC
to vouch for someone's prior work. I don't want to abandon smaller languages. Perhaps we need
to have a test, perhaps help translating news for the website and/or bootstrapping / restarting
NL parts of the website. I would be willing to help guide work on NL parts of www.openoffice.org.

What do you think? What does the PPMC think? What does the community think?

Regards,
Dave