incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Simon Phipps <si...@webmink.com>
Subject Clarifying facts
Date Tue, 13 Mar 2012 16:25:51 GMT
Hi all,

Probably because of all the progress being made towards a v3.4 release, I have been getting
an increasing number of enquiries about the status of Apache OpenOffice from a variety of
sources.  I'm attempting, in good faith, to maintain an objective status summary the Apache
OpenOffice incubator project to report to these enquiries.

I've had a commentator assert that the statements below are uninformed and made-up. I believe
based on my observations all of the following statements to be true about the Apache project;
can you let me know if they are not, please, so I can present a factual status of the project
when asked?
The Apache OpenOffice project will be releasing a new binary under the new name "Apache OpenOffice"
at some point soon, which will probably be numbered v3.4.
The release is being developed by a subset of the original developers augmented by others.

There have been no updates to OpenOffice.org binaries released for users since Oracle stopped
development.
There will be no new versions of a binary program called OpenOffice.org released.
No downloads of OpenOffice.org containing bug fixes or security updates have been made available
for end users since Oracle stopped development.
The Apache OpenOffice project now controls the original OpenOffice.org domain (via the ASF)
and plans to use it for future promotion of the Apache OpenOffice project.
The Apache OpenOffice project is still in incubation and has not yet requested graduation
to a TLP.
Thanks for your help with this.

S.