incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Dave Fisher <dave2w...@comcast.net>
Subject Re: Is any one here familiar with OpenOffice?
Date Tue, 13 Mar 2012 15:50:07 GMT
Hi Shane,

On Mar 13, 2012, at 5:23 AM, Shane Curcuru wrote:

> +1 to Pedro's point that the main end-user channel is crucially important.
>
> In one way, it feels like there are two discussions in this sub-thread:
>
> - Rob zeroing in on his infographic idea (and building at least a small subset of good
data on participant history).  It will make a good blog post and pointer for information on
who's working here.

> - Several other people believing that the main end-user facing information source is
probably the most important tool we have to deal with either FUD, or just plain user interest.

> Dave - do we have a "one stop shop" for pointers for committers who want to work on the
oo.o website?  In particular for text only changes (i.e. no graphics or style stuff), are
there any gotchas on any of the main parts of the site these days?

Recently Kay updated this page: http://incubator.apache.org/openofficeorg/website-local.html

Recently at Joe's prompting we switched to using SSI and there are now no more sledgehammer
svn issues.

(1) I should find some cycles (finally) to focus on some "how to" pages. As an example I'll
show the branding change to Drew's AOO logo, which I will do.

(2) The other bit will be a how to about NL branding.

(3) Make the news more prominent and the buttons smaller on index.html. Convert news and button
content to mdtext to make these more accessible for NL home pages.

> Personally, I agree with Pedro, and I'm far more interested in working on the larger
story of ensuring that end users understand the transition from OOo -> AOO.  Presuming
I can free up some time next week I'd like to do something about the quite annoying lack of
obvious "Apache" mentions all over the oo.o site.

Regards,
Dave

> - Shane
>
> On 2012-03-12 5:49 PM, Dave Fisher wrote:

>>> So that is a "yes, and" statement.  Yes, let's do the home page, and
>>> the other things as well, if we have volunteers to do them. They work
>>> together.  Certainly the home page gets a lot of traffic, so it can
>>> reinforce a message.

>>> It may depend on whether you want to change only the main index.html
>>> page, or change the repeated page elements that appear on every page.
>>> Dave would know how far you can go without forcing a complete rebuild.
>>
>> We now use Server Side Includes and there are no longer any sledgehammer builds.
>>
>> I have a notion to make it easy to add news to the main page. The buttons are a current
issue on the main page and the downloads.

from www.openoffice.org. If you are not a committer then you can create a patch.