incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Dave Fisher <dave2w...@comcast.net>
Subject Re: Is any one here familiar with OpenOffice?
Date Mon, 12 Mar 2012 21:49:21 GMT

On Mar 12, 2012, at 1:07 PM, Rob Weir wrote:

> On Mon, Mar 12, 2012 at 3:59 PM, Pedro Giffuni <pfg@apache.org> wrote:

>>> Oh, I'm sure we all have our own preferred ways of doing this.  The
>>> nice thing is that they are not mutually exclusive. We only need to
>>> agree to be accurate and positive.   We don't need to agree on a
>>> narrow set of specific communications. Some volunteers might work
>>> better with HTML, others with YouTube videos, others with graphics.
>>> Let's find more ways of saying "yes and"  instead of "no, but".
>>>
>>> -Rob
>>

>> You didn't get it: the channel matters.
>>
>> If a blog from the Apache Foundation says "OpenOffice is not
>> dead" and a blog from TDF says "OpenOffice.org is dead",
>> well ... both can be wrong or right ...
>>
>> OTOH, If the openoffice.org says "alive and kicking" the
>> message is way more credible.
>>

> So that is a "yes, and" statement.  Yes, let's do the home page, and
> the other things as well, if we have volunteers to do them. They work
> together.  Certainly the home page gets a lot of traffic, so it can
> reinforce a message.
>
>> This said ... I don't feel confident enough to modify the
>> main page: if I, for example, screw things up badly and
>> want to revert my changes, can I do that easily in
>> Apache CMS?
>>

> It may depend on whether you want to change only the main index.html
> page, or change the repeated page elements that appear on every page.
> Dave would know how far you can go without forcing a complete rebuild.

We now use Server Side Includes and there are no longer any sledgehammer builds.

I have a notion to make it easy to add news to the main page. The buttons are a current issue
on the main page and the downloads.

It is safe to change/update news stories using the Apache CMS Bookmarklet directly from www.openoffice.org.
If you are not a committer then you can create a patch.

Regards,
Dave