incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Juergen Schmidt <jogischm...@googlemail.com>
Subject Re: [SUPPORTED OS] RE: Propose AOO 3.4 RC Build Test Plan
Date Sat, 24 Mar 2012 19:04:36 GMT
On Friday, 23. March 2012 at 19:31, Rob Weir wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 23, 2012 at 1:46 PM, Dennis E. Hamilton
> <dennis.hamilton@acm.org> wrote:
> > Why is it assumed that AOO support should end because Microsoft has ended the support
life for Windows 2000 SP4?  That has nothing to do with whether or not users are continuing
to run it, for any reason.

> "Support" is a term that probably requires definition for it to mean
> anything in the context of an community-supported open source project.
> Will we kick someone out of the support forums if they ask about
> Windows 2000? Of course not. Will we list it among the recommended
> platforms? Not unless someone volunteers to test it and verify that
> it works.
>
> > I continued to run Windows 98 machines beyond that support life, mainly because
they were not up to running Windows XP at all well.  (I do have one of those running XP SP3
now mainly because it is only running a little web server.)

> > One advantage (more or less) of running Apache OpenOffice on such a machine is that
it can run there whereas later versions of Microsoft Office will not.

> > Here's the support list for the Java JRE 6u31, the latest update of Java 6:
> > Platform(s): Windows 7, Vista, Windows XP, Windows 2000, Windows 2003, Windows 2008
Server.

> > Java 7, which is not yet the public distribution, removes Windows 2000 and Windows
2003 (server) from that list.

> > I suggest that if we want AOO 3.4 to run wherever OpenOffice.org 3.3.0 does, we
do not shrink the list until AOO 4.0 is a reality.

> Volunteers to test other platforms are always welcome. Otherwise I'd
> expect that corporate-sponsored QA engineers will likely focus on the
> more commercial relevant platforms.
>
> >  - Dennis

IP clearance

Impress,

Linux

Well I think it's quite easy if somebody wants to support this platform, means build it frequently,
fix issues, do testing etc. then we are all fine with supporting it.

I will kick it of the readme to avoid false expectations ;-)

Juergen