incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Dave Fisher <dave2w...@comcast.net>
Subject Re: Clarifying facts
Date Tue, 13 Mar 2012 17:17:42 GMT
Hi Simon,

These are all "facts" - however they do have a certain "negative spin". You need to be "informed".

On Mar 13, 2012, at 9:25 AM, Simon Phipps wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Probably because of all the progress being made towards a v3.4 release, I have been getting
an increasing number of enquiries about the status of Apache OpenOffice from a variety of
sources.  I'm attempting, in good faith, to maintain an objective status summary the Apache
OpenOffice incubator project to report to these enquiries.

> I've had a commentator assert that the statements below are uninformed and made-up. I
believe based on my observations all of the following statements to be true about the Apache
project; can you let me know if they are not, please, so I can present a factual status of
the project when asked?

Try rewriting the statements

> The Apache OpenOffice project will be releasing a new binary under the new name "Apache
OpenOffice" at some point soon, which will probably be numbered v3.4.

The Apache OpenOffice project will be releasing a new binary called Apache OpenOffice v3.4
soon. All GPL code has been replaced or eliminated. Please ask ooo-dev for a list of improvements
like a native SVG implementation.

> The release is being developed by a subset of the original developers augmented by others.

The AOO project team includes a large number of the original developers, Symphony developers,
community developers and new developers.

> There have been no updates to OpenOffice.org binaries released for users since Oracle
stopped development.

The project has focused on moving the project to the Apache License and off of Oracle Infrastructure.
Continuing to release OOo binaries was not an option.

> There will be no new versions of a binary program called OpenOffice.org released.

We are now calling it Apache OpenOffice. It is still OpenOffice.org.

> No downloads of OpenOffice.org containing bug fixes or security updates have been made
available for end users since Oracle stopped development.

We are prevented at the ASF from releasing GPL code. This was discussed in June/July 2011.
Subsequently, TeamOO never fully engaged with ooo-dev about bug fix versions. The TOO individuals
were on the Initial Committer list and are members of the AOO PPMC.

> The Apache OpenOffice project now controls the original OpenOffice.org domain (via the
ASF) and plans to use it for future promotion of the Apache OpenOffice project.

We are using the domain, it is now Apache's trademark. ALL of the legacy OOo site has been
migrated, saved and available for further development. The NLC communities are welcome to
return and work on NL versions of Apache OpenOffice and the openoffice.org website.

> The Apache OpenOffice project is still in incubation and has not yet requested graduation
to a TLP.

A release is a prerequisite to graduation. Once a release has been made graduation is next
on the agenda. Our mentors can correct me if I am wrong, but we have likely met all of the
other requirements.

> Thanks for your help with this.

Regards,
Dave