incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Oliver-Rainer Wittmann <orwittm...@googlemail.com>
Subject Re: Info about the update protocol
Date Fri, 30 Mar 2012 06:51:24 GMT
Hi,

> On 29.03.2012 19:15, Kay Schenk wrote:
>> On Thu, Mar 29, 2012 at 2:23 AM, Oliver-Rainer Wittmann<
>> orwittmann@googlemail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Joe,

>>> You will find the main stuff in /main/extensions/source/**update/check.
>>> In updateprotokoll.cxx you will find function<checkForUpdates(..)>.
>>> Please have also a look at [1], esp. [2].
>>>
>>> Our UCB (Universal Content Broker) is used to get the update information
>>> (an response in XML format) via the URL which is given in the<version.ini>
>>> resp.<versionrc> file. The URL is found at item<UpdateURL> in this
file.

>>> I have have checked what kind of HTTP requests are triggered by our "Check
>>> for Updates" function. It is a GET request. It should be a single one.
>>>

>> a ha! So...maybe the business we saw on Tuesday was from an older
>> implementation that used "POST" instead of "GET". I was going to spend
>> some time today looking into this Oliver. So --THANK YOU!
>>
>> OK, next question... do you or anyone else happen to have a mapping between
>> update host names and versions to which they apply?
>>
>> We redirected "update.services.openoffice.org" which MAY be the URL for
>> older clients that used "POST" instead of "GET". I don't know version of
>> OOo this would have been configured for.
>>
>> Should we assume that all the update3x.service.openoffice.org
>>
>> apply to OpenOffice.org 3.x clients which are probably implementing the
>> corrected protocol -- GET vs POST?
>>
>> I'm happy we're making progress on this!
>>
>> ps. I also found update23.services.openoffice.org and
>> update24.openoffice.org as valid DNS entries which we definitely NOT
>> re-rotue probably due to the same issues.
>>

> Currently, I have
> OOo 2.2, OOo 3.1, OOo 3.1.1 and OOo 3.3 installed.
> The URLs are according <version.ini> resp. <versionrc>:
> - OOo 2.2: http://update.services.openoffice.org/ProductUpdateService/check.Update
> - OOo 3.1:
> http://update32.services.openoffice.org/ProductUpdateService/check.Update
> - OOo 3.1.1:
> http://update32.services.openoffice.org/ProductUpdateService/check.Update
> - OOo 3.3:
> http://update36.services.openoffice.org/ProductUpdateService/check.Update
>
> I have installationsets for OOo 3.0, OOo 3.0.1, OOo 3.2 and OOo 3.2.1 on my
> machine. I will install them and check the <version.ini> resp. <versionrc>.
> I will have a look on the network traffic to figure out which HTTP requests are
> sent.

I have already checked the network traffic for OOo 2.2 after I had change the
<UpdateURL> to http://www.openoffice.org/ProductUpdateService/check.Update:
OOo 2.2 sends a GET request followed by a OPTIONS request.

Further reports will follow.

BTW, does the server logs track the <User-Agent> HTTP header field content of
the HTTP requests?
It should contain all the necessary information to identify the OOo
installation. For my OOo 2.2 this HTTP header field contains "OpenOffice.org 2.2
(680m14(Build:9134); Windows; x86; BundledLanguages=en-US"

Best regards, Oliver.