incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Hagar Delest <hagar.del...@laposte.net>
Subject Re: [RELEASE] Dictionary extensions
Date Thu, 29 Mar 2012 19:08:43 GMT

> On 3/29/12 11:13 AM, Rory O'Farrell wrote:
>> It is worth noting that a frequent
>> question from users is how to remove unwanted
>> preinstalled dictionaries.  In a future release perhaps a
>> modification of the install process might allow selection of
>> dictionaries at install time.  I suspect, but do not know for
>> certain, that in some cases such users wish to economise on
>> memory, be it storage or RAM, used by the program when installed
>> on older computers.
>>
> this is valuable feedback and we should take care of this in the future. As always and
everywhere we have a lot of areas where we can improve things.

> That means that we exactly need the feedback from our users (home as well as enterprise
users). In the end the tasks they want to achieve are very similar for all. Our focus for
the future should be to make
> things as easy as possible for our users.
>
> Juergen

In the same area, it's rather strange that the whole list of languages is available in the
drop-down lists that are easily accessible to users (in the Font properties tab for example)
whereas only installed dics are listed in Tools>Options>Language and Settings>Writing
Aids>Modules.

The long list is either confusing (are all these languages installed?) or not convenient (I've
to move along the whole list to find the correct language). It would be more logical to have
the opposite:
- short list (only installed dics) in the "common" settings
- long list (with the check mark for installed languages) in the advanced options (Tools>Options>...)

In the forum, very often, users don't make the difference at first between a language with
a check mark (installed) and without in the list.

Just my 2 ct, sorry to be OT here. Can make a bug report if needed.

Hagar