incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Kay Schenk <kay.sch...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS][PROPOSAL] redirection of update services to www.openoffice.org
Date Wed, 28 Mar 2012 16:32:16 GMT

On 03/23/2012 01:41 AM, Oliver-Rainer Wittmann wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On 22.03.2012 22:35, Kay Schenk wrote:
>> As we all know, the program update services, the actual update equipment
>> and the services they provided have not worked *in a while*, they are
>> non-responsive.
>>
>> 1) Background and Problem
>>
>> This would include the following URLS:
>>
>> update.services.openoffice.org
>> update30.services.openoffice.org
>> update31.services.openoffice.org
>> update32.services.openoffice.org
>> update33.services.openoffice.org
>> update34.services.openoffice.org
>> update35.services.openoffice.org
>> update36.services.openoffice.org
>>
>> Pings to these don't return.
>>
>> These are referenced in the program in a user's "install
>> location"/program/"version init file"
>>
>> the name of "version init file" varies by installation platform.
>>
>> Each of the update services above typically included a check for update
>> area with the name--
>> .../ProductUpdateService/check.Update
>>
>> A complete URL example (referenced in the version file):
>> update36.services.openoffice.org/ProductUpdateService/check.Update(?"optional
>>
>> params")
>>
>> "check.Update" would normally be an xml feed which would include, as
>> part
>> of its entry for each platform, and language version, a pointer to
>> another
>> URL which would actually have and install the update for the given
>> system.
>> See details and  notes on this at:
>>
>> http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/Update_Notification_Protocol
>>

>> 2)  Proposed Solution
>> Several participants on this list have been researching the "Update
>> Notification Protocol" and creating "snippets" of the feeds (both simple
>> and atom) for very limited one platform situations. However, the
>> creation
>> of a complete feed for all platforms has not been done ... yet. More
>> research and development time is needed for this.
>>
>> Meanwhile, many current OOo users who either use the "check for updates"
>> feature of their program or have updates "automatically enabled"
>> continue
>> to be frustrated with the unavailability of the update service.
>>
>> Although we still have not solved the problem of *HOW* to re-create the
>> complete service (feed), we can create a "null" placeholder feed for all
>> services mentioned in 1) that would return the message:
>>
>> "OpenOffice x.x is up to date"
>>
>> Essentially, all update services mentioned above would be redirected an
>> appropriate area on the current web server, www.openoffice.org, which
>> would
>> return "no" information in placeholder feeds for each update service.
>>

>> Thoughts?
>>

> First, Thx Kay for the summary.
>
> From my side a +1 to this proposal.
> From my point of view the "no" information placeholder is a temporary
> [...]

After an  "experiment" with just redirecting
"update.services.openoffice.org", an older update service which I
thought would have little impact, to www.openoffice.org yesterday, I am
rescinding this suggestion. Yes, we need to port even a "simple" reply
like this somewhere, but it's clear it can't be via the web server due
to load considerations.

Suggestions on an alternate setup/location?

MzK

"Women and cats will do as they please,
                                     -- Robert Heinlein