incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Oliver-Rainer Wittmann <orwittm...@googlemail.com>
Subject Re: [RELEASE] NOTICE and LICENSE file
Date Wed, 28 Mar 2012 09:18:38 GMT
Hi

> Thx for the input so far.
>
> My work stopped, because of the ongoing discussion on legal-discuss. Greg Stein
> has started at legal-discuss a corresponding thread, named "use of LICENSE and
> NOTICE". To be sure how to proceed I will send the following information to
> legal-discuss:
>
> List of links on apache.org with information regarding the content of the
> LICENSE file and the NOTICE file which I have found:
> [1] http://www.apache.org/legal/src-headers.html#notice
> [2] http://apache.org/legal/resolved.html#required-third-party-notices
> [3] http://www.apache.org/legal/src-headers.html#header-existingcopyright
> [4] http://www.apache.org/licenses/example-NOTICE.txt
> [5] http://incubator.apache.org/guides/releasemanagement.html#best-practice-license
> [6] http://incubator.apache.org/guides/releasemanagement.html#best-practice-notice
>
> My intepretation of this information and the information given in the thread at
> legal-discuss is the following:
> - Content of LICENSE file - general conclusion:
> -- Apache license at the top
> -- Licenses of all 3rd party components included in the specific package of a
> release inclusive a clear identification of the files to whose the license apply.
>
> - Content of NOTICE file - general conclusion:
> -- Standard copyright notice as given at [1] at the top
> -- Notices which are required by 3rd party component licenses which should be
> quite rare.
>
> - Further conclusions by orw for the Apache OpenOffice (incubating) project:
> -- We (AOO incubating) are planning to release a source package and binary
> packages. The binary package will include certain category-b licensed
> components. Thus, I assume that we need for each package an own LICENSE file and
> an own NOTICE file.
> -- The LICENSE file and the NOTICE file for the source package will cover the
> licenses of our source files.
> -- The LICENSE files and the NOTICE files for the binary package will cover
> additionally all licenses from the enabled category-b licensed components.
>
> If there are no objections I will continue my work regarding the above
> interpretations.

There is already feedback on legal-discuss regarding my post.
A short summary:
- It seems that LICENSE file and NOTICE file of integrated Apache projects as
3rd party components need to be considered. E.g. Apache APR
- It seems that notices of 3rd party components which are licensed under the
Apache license need to be considered. E.g. serf
- For our planned binary packages the bundled dictionary extensions need to be
considered.

If you are interested in further details you may have a look at
http://markmail.org/thread/ze722s7ovb5pjdnn

Thus, I will continue my work on this task:
- First I will create a LICENSE file and a NOTICE file for the source package of
our release. These will be the files trunk/main/LICENSE and trunk/main/NOTICE
- Then I will create a LICENSE file and a NOTICE file for the binary packages of
our release. I will name them trunk/main/LICENSE-binary-package and
trunk/main/NOTICE-binary-package

Best regards, Oliver.