incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Kay Schenk <kay.sch...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [RELEASE]: status update where we are and plan to move forward
Date Tue, 27 Mar 2012 20:46:27 GMT

On 03/27/2012 11:39 AM, � wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I would like to inform you where we are from my perspective and how I
> think we can/should move forward.
>
> 2 show stopper issues are open now which should be fixed later this
> week. We make good progress to clean up the RAT output
> (http://ci.apache.org/projects/openoffice/rat-output.html), we are
> supporting Andrew where we can. Work on our NOTICE and LICENSE file is
> also ongoing and we make good progress to integrate early feedback
> before our first RC.
>
> Translation
> I am still not happy with the current situation around translations. I
> know that it is not the problem of our translation volunteers (I am
> happy to see the progress and interest) and that you all do your best.
> I think it was a mistake to underestimate the Pootle issue and the
> relating work... But we can't change it at the moment.
>
> A RC with en-US only is not really what our community is expecting. I
> would like to propose the following.
>
> UI
> We will include all languages where we have a 100% complete
> translation for the UI (excepting the translation for the test
> automation tool like for "ru")
>
> All other languages will we release a little bit later when more
> translations are ready
>
> HELP
> For help I would not really rely on a 100% translation and would
> accept >95%.
>
> And here the same we will release further languages based on
> availability.
>
> That means we will start with a subset of languages first and will
> release more languages with a 3.4.1 that we can address quite fast.
>
> I still believe that a fast release is important for the public
> reputation of our project and I don't see a problem with releasing
> more languages later.
>
> I would like to start building a RC candidate next week with the
> languages that we have in place on Monday next week (April 2th).
>
> Any opinions?
>
> Juergen
Juergen--

I support your analysis and this plan. Some questions:

* What is the proposed timeframe for the RC(s)?
I know logistically there was a some discussion about SourceForge's role
in the download. The timeline that was discussed led me to believe we
were at least a week or so out -- something about mid-April was
mentioned. Do think this is still accurate?

* Right now the "Release Candidate " area of the web site's download page...
http://www.openoffice.org/download/all_rc.html

is directed *back* to the main download page.

Those of us doing web maintenance for the download areas will need some
assistance is determining the needed information (platforms, languages,
etc.)
that are detailed in http://www.openoffice.org/download/globalvars.js

so we can reconstruct the all_rc.html

If you already have this info, please feel free to update this page, or
send info so someone else can do it.

Thanks...

MzK

"Women and cats will do as they please,