incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From J├╝rgen Schmidt <jogischm...@googlemail.com>
Subject [RELEASE]: status update where we are and plan to move forward
Date Tue, 27 Mar 2012 18:39:54 GMT
Hi,

I would like to inform you where we are from my perspective and how I
think we can/should move forward.

2 show stopper issues are open now which should be fixed later this
week. We make good progress to clean up the RAT output
(http://ci.apache.org/projects/openoffice/rat-output.html), we are
supporting Andrew where we can. Work on our NOTICE and LICENSE file is
also ongoing and we make good progress to integrate early feedback
before our first RC.

Translation
I am still not happy with the current situation around translations. I
know that it is not the problem of our translation volunteers (I am
happy to see the progress and interest) and that you all do your best. I
think it was a mistake to underestimate the Pootle issue and the
relating work... But we can't change it at the moment.

A RC with en-US only is not really what our community is expecting. I
would like to propose the following.

UI
We will include all languages where we have a 100% complete translation
for the UI (excepting the translation for the test automation tool like
for "ru")

All other languages will we release a little bit later when more
translations are ready

HELP
For help I would not really rely on a 100% translation and would accept
 >95%.

And here the same we will release further languages based on availability.

That means we will start with a subset of languages first and will
release more languages with a 3.4.1 that we can address quite fast.

I still believe that a fast release is important for the public
reputation of our project and I don't see a problem with releasing more
languages later.

I would like to start building a RC candidate next week with the
languages that we have in place on Monday next week (April 2th).

Any opinions?

Juergen