incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From J├╝rgen Schmidt <>
Subject [RELEASE]: status update where we are and plan to move forward
Date Tue, 27 Mar 2012 18:39:54 GMT

I would like to inform you where we are from my perspective and how I
think we can/should move forward.

2 show stopper issues are open now which should be fixed later this
week. We make good progress to clean up the RAT output
(, we are
supporting Andrew where we can. Work on our NOTICE and LICENSE file is
also ongoing and we make good progress to integrate early feedback
before our first RC.

I am still not happy with the current situation around translations. I
know that it is not the problem of our translation volunteers (I am
happy to see the progress and interest) and that you all do your best. I
think it was a mistake to underestimate the Pootle issue and the
relating work... But we can't change it at the moment.

A RC with en-US only is not really what our community is expecting. I
would like to propose the following.

We will include all languages where we have a 100% complete translation
for the UI (excepting the translation for the test automation tool like
for "ru")

All other languages will we release a little bit later when more
translations are ready

For help I would not really rely on a 100% translation and would accept

And here the same we will release further languages based on availability.

That means we will start with a subset of languages first and will
release more languages with a 3.4.1 that we can address quite fast.

I still believe that a fast release is important for the public
reputation of our project and I don't see a problem with releasing more
languages later.

I would like to start building a RC candidate next week with the
languages that we have in place on Monday next week (April 2th).

Any opinions?

View raw message