incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Oliver-Rainer Wittmann <orwittm...@googlemail.com>
Subject Re: [RELEASE] NOTICE and LICENSE file
Date Tue, 27 Mar 2012 14:54:58 GMT
Hi

Thx for the input so far.

My work stopped, because of the ongoing discussion on legal-discuss. Greg Stein
has started at legal-discuss a corresponding thread, named "use of LICENSE and
NOTICE". To be sure how to proceed I will send the following information to
legal-discuss:

List of links on apache.org with information regarding the content of the
LICENSE file and the NOTICE file which I have found:
[1] http://www.apache.org/legal/src-headers.html#notice
[2] http://apache.org/legal/resolved.html#required-third-party-notices
[3] http://www.apache.org/legal/src-headers.html#header-existingcopyright
[4] http://www.apache.org/licenses/example-NOTICE.txt
[5] http://incubator.apache.org/guides/releasemanagement.html#best-practice-license
[6] http://incubator.apache.org/guides/releasemanagement.html#best-practice-notice

My intepretation of this information and the information given in the thread at
legal-discuss is the following:
- Content of LICENSE file - general conclusion:
-- Apache license at the top
-- Licenses of all 3rd party components included in the specific package of a
release inclusive a clear identification of the files to whose the license apply.

- Content of NOTICE file - general conclusion:
-- Standard copyright notice as given at [1] at the top
-- Notices which are required by 3rd party component licenses which should be
quite rare.

- Further conclusions by orw for the Apache OpenOffice (incubating) project:
-- We (AOO incubating) are planning to release a source package and binary
packages. The binary package will include certain category-b licensed
components. Thus, I assume that we need for each package an own LICENSE file and
an own NOTICE file.
-- The LICENSE file and the NOTICE file for the source package will cover the
licenses of our source files.
-- The LICENSE files and the NOTICE files for the binary package will cover
additionally all licenses from the enabled category-b licensed components.

If there are no objections I will continue my work regarding the above
interpretations.

Best regards, Oliver.